Kimber Warrior v. Custom II

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penman53

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I am going to buy myself a Kimber for Christmas. I like the Warrior the best, but what is the difference between a Warrior and a Custom II other than the G-10 grips & Tritium ?

I don't see a Warrior listed in the available guns for 2010. You may have your choice already limited. What are you looking for in a 1911? Is it going to be a carry gun or a competition gun, what type of shooting are you planning on doing with it?

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Warrior has an internal extractor (I believe the current production Custom II models do as well, but I'm not up on Kimbers non-warrior models). This is what you want - stay away from external extractor models.

The Warrior also has no Schwartz Firing Pin safety (its what I want, your mileage may vary). The Schwartz has been known to fail, but if made with quality parts and timed correctly, it is ok (it does affect the trigger feel in a 1911 though).

I read somewhere that Kimber didn't use any MiM in the Warrior or Desert Warrior, but I can't find that fact right now - I know the gun they made for SOCOM was completely different than the Warrior/Desert Warrior, but the Warrior was supposedly made as a civilian-ownable toned-down version of their SOCOM gun so its "inspired" by the read deal :thumb:

For what its worth, that SOCOM thing is old news and I don't believe that the Marines even carry them anymore (again, I can't find where I read that either at the moment).

I still want a Desert Warrior badly though - I just want a Sig 226 Combat worse and since I sold my 1911 and am out of the .45 game, I'm ok with waiting on my next 1911 for a while. If you like the Flat Dark Earth color, check out the Sig 220 Combat (for a kick-ass .45).

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Warrior has an internal extractor (I believe the current production Custom II models do as well, but I'm not up on Kimbers non-warrior models). This is what you want - stay away from external extractor models.

The Warrior also has no Schwartz Firing Pin safety (its what I want, your mileage may vary). The Schwartz has been known to fail, but if made with quality parts and timed correctly, it is ok (it does affect the trigger feel in a 1911 though).

I read somewhere that Kimber didn't use any MiM in the Warrior or Desert Warrior, but I can't find that fact right now - I know the gun they made for SOCOM was completely different than the Warrior/Desert Warrior, but the Warrior was supposedly made as a civilian-ownable toned-down version of their SOCOM gun so its "inspired" by the read deal :thumb:

For what its worth, that SOCOM thing is old news and I don't believe that the Marines even carry them anymore (again, I can't find where I read that either at the moment).

I still want a Desert Warrior badly though - I just want a Sig 226 Combat worse and since I sold my 1911 and am out of the .45 game, I'm ok with waiting on my next 1911 for a while. If you like the Flat Dark Earth color, check out the Sig 220 Combat (for a kick-ass .45).

Yep, +1 on the Kimber Warrior being the best Kimber model. It however still has the same MIM other Kimbers do.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score

Am I wrong in remembering that the Schwartz FPS uses the grip safety to engage the safety as opposed to the Colt Srs 80 style that uses the trigger? So the Kimber Srs II shouldn't have a different trigger feel to it.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I too would love to have the Warrior (non-dessert). It has the conventional recoil spring plug and not that infernal full length guide rod monstrosity every other 1911 has. I hate having to have a tool to take a sidearm apart.

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a Custom II that I paid a little under $650 for and it was as fine a 1911 as I would ever want. The quality, accuracy, reliability, and the feel of the controls was absolutely first rate. It had the Scwartz safety on the grip safety which I liked, and the external extractor worked perfectly. The trigger was a delight and I would not want a 1911 that had any tighter tolerances because it is a fighting handgun and it needs to function if dropped in the dirt.

repete34

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a Custom II that I paid a little under $650 for and it was as fine a 1911 as I would ever want. The quality, accuracy, reliability, and the feel of the controls was absolutely first rate. It had the Scwartz safety on the grip safety which I liked, and the external extractor worked perfectly. The trigger was a delight and I would not want a 1911 that had any tighter tolerances because it is a fighting handgun and it needs to function if dropped in the dirt.

I have had zero problem / issues with my custom II, I would like a magwell, and amdi safety. So my next one will be the custom II tactical. Or may may just upgrade the one I have. I paid $600 for mine, it was used but very little.

Latest posts

Top Bottom