300 Blackout Bolt v's Auto Accuracy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Going to finally dive into this caliber. Torn between building an AR or buying a Bolt Gun. Sticking with 16" on the barrel and will be looking for as much speed out of a 110-165 grain bullet I can. May toy with subs later on, but looking to push it for now.

Options are kinda limited for Bolt guns that I can find now. Savage Axis II and the Ruger. Either of these have sub MOA possibility with the right load, or am do I need to step it up in quality or price? Building an AR is going to run close to a grand using Aero parts for the barrel, receivers and BCG.

Thanks in advance OSA

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think there's Tikka and CZ in the 5-600 range.
I prefer my Ruger American in 7.62x39 over the 300 BLK (Have both)
You can load it with every bullet weight that you can the 300 Blk
You can load as slow as the 300 or hop it up.

I also have AR's in 300 Blk and x39 but never shoot them

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For max velocity I would go with a bolt gun and for me I can hold a bolt gun much more steady than an AR15 for making the longer shots.
Scope height and short length of pull on the AR makes it hard for me.

Now if you do actually decide which one know this the magazine length can make or break you.
Some bullets take up a lot of case capacity and if you have a generous magazine
you can seat the bullets out farther but we know chamber comes into play here also.

I do know my Savage rifles have plenty of magazine length.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't really see the reason behind a bolt action 300BO unless you are already invested in it because you have an AR chambered in it. Saying that, it is the exact reason I have a bolt gun for it. I mainly bought it for ultra quiet shooting suppressed with subs. The sound if the bullet hitting the target at 50 yds. is louder that the muzzle report. About the level of a duck fart. If you don't already have the AR, there seem to be so many other options for a bolt gun that would perform better. Buy hey if you want to use it then who am I to say you shouldn't. Start with the bolt gun for the price then if you like it, you can save up for an AR build down the road. Keep in mind that deciding later you aren't happy with the bolt gun, you might have a hard time selling it. If you go bolt, I would suggest you get one with a threaded barrel even if you don't have a can. It will help the resale value.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For max velocity I would go with a bolt gun and for me I can hold a bolt gun much more steady than an AR15 for making the longer shots.
Scope height and short length of pull on the AR makes it hard for me.

Now if you do actually decide which one know this the magazine length can make or break you.
Some bullets take up a lot of case capacity and if you have a generous magazine
you can seat the bullets out farther but we know chamber comes into play here also.

I do know my Savage rifles have plenty of magazine length.
Good to know on the Savage. Thank you. How's the trigger and stock float on your Savage?

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't really see the reason behind a bolt action 300BO unless you are already invested in it because you have an AR chambered in it. Saying that, it is the exact reason I have a bolt gun for it. I mainly bought it for ultra quiet shooting suppressed with subs. The sound if the bullet hitting the target at 50 yds. is louder that the muzzle report. About the level of a duck fart. If you don't already have the AR, there seem to be so many other options for a bolt gun that would perform better. Buy hey if you want to use it then who am I to say you shouldn't. Start with the bolt gun for the price then if you like it, you can save up for an AR build down the road. Keep in mind that deciding later you aren't happy with the bolt gun, you might have a hard time selling it. If you go bolt, I would suggest you get one with a threaded barrel even if you don't have a can. It will help the resale value.
I don't have either yet, but was thinking Bolt Gun to start with. Find one used or go with one new for under 5 bills. That way I won't be at too bad of a loss if I don't like it.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I polish/tweak all my triggers as I am a bit picky and those plastic stocks in Ruger and Savage all need a little tweak. Mine did anyway.
My Mossbergs also got tweaked.

But it is just some epoxy and carbon or aluminum arrows or just a slight skim with a knife.
I never buy anything to tweak the triggers just sand and polish stuff.

My AR triggers get the same treatment and a slight tweak to the Hi-Point triggers also.
I just can't seem to leave anything stock.

16colt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Howa bolt action in 300 BO w/ 16" bbl. Mainly just use it to play with -suppressed and subsonics.
I have heard they are quite accurate, but I have not spent much time with it shooting at any real distance.

Latest posts

Top Bottom