Kindle Fire

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuddyL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since I don't have a Tablet or an iPhone I may be over wowed, but this is VERY awesome.
This is easiest electronic anything I have ever setup.
Books, Magazines and bunches of other stuff, have not got to the movies and music.but can't
think it would be any different. Also I can get on the WWW. stuff, gee I love this thing. Any
questions from a nontechie old man I will try and answer them. Oops, it is time for OSU football.
Later,
Bud

JonN06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear you like it. It's very intriguing. I don't have one, but I noticed you don't have to have another computer to set the thing up like you do with an iPad. I have an iPad that my work lets me use, but I wouldn't go out and pay the $850 retail price that the one they gave me cost. For what you get the kindle fire for $199 looks like an awesome deal.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For what the kindle fire is, it is a great product. All the bad reviews I have seen are from people who thought they were getting something comparable to a tablet or Ipad. Which the Fire is not. I saw an article that the Fire costs more to make than the are selling it for. They are banking their profits on the apps, books, and movies that people are going to buy for it

jchip123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I picked mine up Wednesday and I'm really impressed, I added five free apps tonight. I don't have any idea what the Ipad can do but it sure would have to be a lot more then the fire to hand over $800 against $200.

JonN06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I should probably mention the ipad2 starts at $499. Still $300 more than the Kindle Fire. The specific model of iPad 2 that my company lets me use has a price tag of about $829.

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Picked up my Kindle Fire at Best Buy on the day they were released; 11/15 - sold my iPad 2 on eBay last week in anticipation of getting the Fire; not disappointed in it at all! Unlike the iPhone and iPad with their thousands of apps, or any of the other Android tablets/phones and their access to the full Android Market, you're restricted on the Fire to installing only those apps Amazon permits on this device. That's fine with me, as most apps I'll ever need are on my iPhone 4 which is always in my pocket. I just wanted a smaller device than the iPad 2 for reading books & magazines, and the occasional web surfing session using the Hotspot wireless feature on my iPhone. The Fire delivers excellently on those points, and for much cheaper than an iPad.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Picked up my Kindle Fire at Best Buy on the day they were released; 11/15 - sold my iPad 2 on eBay last week in anticipation of getting the Fire; not disappointed in it at all! Unlike the iPhone and iPad with their thousands of apps, or any of the other Android tablets/phones and their access to the full Android Market, you're restricted on the Fire to installing only those apps Amazon permits on this device. That's fine with me, as most apps I'll ever need are on my iPhone 4 which is always in my pocket. I just wanted a smaller device than the iPad 2 for reading books & magazines, and the occasional web surfing session using the Hotspot wireless feature on my iPhone. The Fire delivers excellently on those points, and for much cheaper than an iPad.

You can always root it, and not be restricted. I got the nook tablet for that reason. I wanted the extra storage vs the cloud. They are identical in almost every other category. If they offer(ed) the fire with 3g, I would have got it.

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can always root it, and not be restricted. I got the nook tablet for that reason. I wanted the extra storage vs the cloud. They are identical in almost every other category. If they offer(ed) the fire with 3g, I would have got it.

Agreed; rooting the Fire will open it up to the entire Android Marketplace - but I'm happy with it as is. I was already a member of Amazon Prime, so that's another plus for the Kindle in my book (streaming movies; TV shows; etc.). I'm also glad it doesn't have 3G capability; got tired of paying for it on my iPad and switched to wireless-only on it a few months before I sold it. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 is supposed to be out now; it looks to be a very nice Android tab running Honeycomb, but it'll be at least $200 more than the Fire.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agreed; rooting the Fire will open it up to the entire Android Marketplace - but I'm happy with it as is. I was already a member of Amazon Prime, so that's another plus for the Kindle in my book (streaming movies; TV shows; etc.). I'm also glad it doesn't have 3G capability; got tired of paying for it on my iPad and switched to wireless-only on it a few months before I sold it. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 is supposed to be out now; it looks to be a very nice Android tab running Honeycomb, but it'll be at least $200 more than the Fire.

All the kindle's currently with 3g do not require a monthly service, its free. I guess it's offset by the cost of the books, etc. I am assuming thats why they didnt offer it on the fire, since its more multimedia oriented, they figured with all the stuff offered via prime, that fire users would use a lot more bandwidth than someone using it as an e-reader who just needed to buy a book at the airport.

Latest posts

Top Bottom