Lake Thunderbird

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think it's ever been this high. Twin bridges
I don't know about never, but I wouldn't be surprised. I'm almost certain it's the first time the Bridges have been under water since they raised them back in the '80s. It's a hell of a difference from the last time I was out there a year or two ago when the water in the east channel of that arm started about 3/4 of a mile north of the Bridges...

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do you suggest? A lot of lakes in western Oklahoma would love to have the water. That is not feasible.

I understand a lot of lakes in western Oklahoma would love to have the water, and why it can not be pumped back up hill.

My comment was since several lakes in Eastern Oklahoma were way over Flood Stage like Eufalla and Texoma with more rain in the foercast it would seem prudent to be letting a little out to get it through the bottleneck at Ft.Smith/Van Buren area that was quite a bit below maximum without flooding level. From there, at that time there plenty of almost normal flows down stream, all the way to the gulf.

To me, getting ahead of it as much as they could would seem to make sense rather than waiting until it was close to a critical situation to up the flow at least to "normal" full levels through that area.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pumping it back west is feasible if the desire is there. Look at that Colorado River Aqueduct running from Nevada to California.

Canton was 13.38 feet low at the end of March. At the end of April it was 11.32 feet low. As of 1900 today it is still 9.35 low even with all this rain. I'd think a pipeline/aqueduct system would be a helluva lot better investment than, I dunno, an indian cultural center that none of the tribes want bad enough to fund? I could see justification for a similar system tapping all of the OKC lakes, Canton, and South Canadian River for supply. Of course it would take a generation to fund and build in stages, but it could be done. Hell they could fill Optima if they wanted right about now...

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand a lot of lakes in western Oklahoma would love to have the water, and why it can not be pumped back up hill.

My comment was since several lakes in Eastern Oklahoma were way over Flood Stage like Eufalla and Texoma with more rain in the foercast it would seem prudent to be letting a little out to get it through the bottleneck at Ft.Smith/Van Buren area that was quite a bit below maximum without flooding level. From there, at that time there plenty of almost normal flows down stream, all the way to the gulf.

To me, getting ahead of it as much as they could would seem to make sense rather than waiting until it was close to a critical situation to up the flow at least to "normal" full levels through that area.

IF we could always go back 2 weeks to make decisions different, it would make a lot of difference.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd think a pipeline/aqueduct system would be a helluva lot better investment than, I dunno, an indian cultural center that none of the tribes want.
FIFY. The Chickasaws, IIRC, have ponied up some money recently, but none of the tribes were in on that particular boondoggle from the get-go.

I'm sure the folks up around Canton would love to take back some of the water OKC took in lieu of water conservation over the last few years.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I was told today by a local that they're still releasing Canton water as it comes in, so they can continue to work on the dam project.........................

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was told today by a local that they're still releasing Canton water as it comes in, so they can continue to work on the dam project.........................

It's looked like this for months. The last one I noticed was that release to OKC that basically drained the lake over a year ago.

Screen Shot 2015-05-25 at 1.12.38 AM.jpg

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FIFY. The Chickasaws, IIRC, have ponied up some money recently, but none of the tribes were in on that particular boondoggle from the get-go.

I'm sure the folks up around Canton would love to take back some of the water OKC took in lieu of water conservation over the last few years.

Yea, as I understand it only a couple tribes were really pulling for it from the beginning, with some others that were listening but not real interested. Most all of them have their own cultural centers and I think they felt they were being strong armed into something they saw no need for. Now the OKC cronies are crying to the state about it being an empty eyesore to their precious downtown.

Latest posts

Top Bottom