Laws on lake with Flat bottom boat and registration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhagar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ok So I live over here by Lake Hudson and been doing some fishing and everytime I go out I see so many gar, carp, and buffalo fish on the surface and swimming in the shallow waters.

I am looking at buying a flat bottom boat. I am not gonna put a motor on it. I don't plan on taking it out into the lake just around Horseshoe bend as they call it. I was thinking of putting a trolling motor on it. now I am not sure if thats considered a motor and its powered so it has to be titled and tagged or not.

Reason I ask is a buddy of mine from kansas has a 14' flat bottom he would sale to me for $300 sitting on a trailer. according to him they don't title boats in kansas. not sure but will be sold with a bill of sale.

questions are
1. if I buy boat and use a trolling motor does it have to be titled and tagged then?
2. worth buying the boat and using bill of sale to get titled and pay all the registration fees/penalties if any over just going to bass pro and buying a new flat bottom?

oh and the edit is here:
I want the flat bottom because I bought me a new hoyt crx32 for next bow season and going to use my old one for some bow fishing I am gonna go stick me some fish :)

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't tell whether it will be worth buying a new boat over your buddies used one. The boat will have to be tagged, regardless of motor. The gas motor over a certain horsepower is tagged seperately.

nhagar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well ya thats what I was wanting to know. has to be tagged. so a new 14' at basspro is 800 and tax plus all the registration fees. where used one is 300 a trailer and likely less fees since its older and less value. answer is used flat bottom. just wanted to know about the registration stuff.

anyone know the difficulty of gettting a title for it since it is coming from Kansas.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Horsepower is 10, which is why most make the 9.9.
Yes you will have to tag the boat.
Good thing is that its not that expensive. Just make sure to get a good bill of sale, that includes the s/n of the boat.
Call your local tag agent and they will tell you what the cost will be.

Canoe's and Kyaks do not have to be tagged with the legislation from a couple of years ago.

Travis798

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It won't be difficult at all to tag with a bill of sale. Registration will be pretty cheap. I just bought a 16 foot bass tracker and I negligee it was 9 bucks to transfer title and 10.50 for the tag. It had a motor also so tag and title for boat and motor was a total of 38.50. You will probably be looking at around 20 bucks max.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

nhagar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well I would love to tell ya all where they can be found but I would then miss out on the fun.........

no seriously there are plenty to go around. Out on lake Hudson north of the Salina Highbanks speedway off of highway 20. Place is called Horseshoe Bend. its a raised road you can drive out on. It makes a big loop out in the water in the shape of a horseshoe. along the banks of that bad boy the carp and buffalo are all over it. The other day I was out there and watched a couple of 3-4 foot Gar surface up and hit my bobber around. was sitting there thinking only if I had my bow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom