Testing the Newest Outboard on the Market - Wish me Luck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ch1966

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's the coolest thing I've seen all day.
Pic was taken a week ago at a restaurant that had tons of antique boat motors hanging everywhere. When I saw it, the first thought was hell no! That's why I took the second pic of the name on the knob.
Quick internet search turned up one actually for sale. I think $125 on Ebay or something came up.
If your interested, just search the name in the second pic.

RWall

Marksman
Reaction score
I got a ten foot plastic bass buggy last year as a poor man's way to get on the water. The trolling motor I've been using as the main drive won't get me where I want to go on the lake and back. So after hemming and hawing (and not wanting to put a $600 honda on a $800 boat), I finally rolled the dice and got the newest motor the Chinese had to offer: a Hangkai 4-Stroke, 4 HP outboard.

Power rating seems suspect.

I put in gear oil, motor oil, and gas and she fired right up. I tighten all the bolts and checked all the seals. Some of the welds don't look pretty but seem solid. Right at $200 in it if you add in the oil.

I am taking her out on the water tomorrow to go fishing. If you don't hear from me again, I'll be at the bottom of the lake covered in Chinese-ium shrapnel.

View attachment 463879
View attachment 463883
View attachment 463884
I am curious to hear the report as I too have just a trolling motor on a Pelican two man and am wanting more range. Hope it doesn’t blow on you

Pennyless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I am curious to hear the report as I too have just a trolling motor on a Pelican two man and am wanting more range. Hope it doesn’t blow on you
Sounds like we are in the same boat then literally. It definitely extended my range. I got out to places I was scared to go to because I didn't want to paddle back. The control/throttle arm is a little short. I only took myself and one chair so had to move that back and forth when switching from trolling to gas. It's not nearly as fast as I was hoping but it gets the job done. It was pretty windy and a lot more boats than anticipate so I didn't try crossing the big stretch of open water I wanted to. I have a 35lb thrust Minn Kota for reference.

ch1966

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like we are in the same boat then literally. It definitely extended my range. I got out to places I was scared to go to because I didn't want to paddle back. The control/throttle arm is a little short. I only took myself and one chair so had to move that back and forth when switching from trolling to gas. It's not nearly as fast as I was hoping but it gets the job done. It was pretty windy and a lot more boats than anticipate so I didn't try crossing the big stretch of open water I wanted to. I have a 35lb thrust Minn Kota for reference.
Look into LiFePo batteries for your TM.
I can run 5 days + easy with two Redodo mini 100AH batteries without even running them way down. With two 20A chargers I can recharge both in < 5 hrs.
2 days in moderate winds last week ~ 15 hrs fishing - my batteries were @ 61% and 88%
(1648 G3 with 15hp 4stroke Merc to get across the big water.)

And the batteries are under 20 lbs each. Two fit in a standard milk crate.

1Tmtig1.jpg

Pennyless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Look into LiFePo batteries for your TM.
I can run 5 days + easy with two Redodo mini 100AH batteries without even running them way down. With two 20A chargers I can recharge both in < 5 hrs.
2 days in moderate winds last week ~ 15 hrs fishing - my batteries were @ 61% and 88%
(1648 G3 with 15hp 4stroke Merc to get across the big water.)

And the batteries are under 20 lbs each. Two fit in a standard milk crate.

1Tmtig1.jpg
Wow, never heard of those. I'll will definitely check them out. My 100ah heavy ass lead acid battery was basically done after 7 hours on the water.

Latest posts

Top Bottom