Lead cast 300 gr 45-70

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dozermonkey

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey it's me again ! Hope every one had a great Christmas ! As y'all know I'm still alittle green to reloading so I have more questions. I have a new Henry 45-70 modern lever action. I acquired some 300 gr lead cast bullets and some Accurate 5744 powder. Is this powder combo a viable option ? I have the Hornady and Lyman books and not real satisfied with the choices or info I'm seeing. As a noob I'm still cautious about some loads. Any info and real world experience would be great ! Thanks for your patience!
Happy new year !

Ps , I've already loaded some Hornady ftx 325 grn with H4198 ,just haven't shot it yet. Was thinking about Varget next.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are some links to what you are looking for. I personally don't have any experience with AA5744 but it seems like it will do what you want. I load everything from 300 grain cast to 405 grain cast and most of the jacketed bullets available as well. I have a Marlin 45-70 lever, a couple of single shots as well. Hope this helps.. Links follow

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?185210-Accurate-5744-and-the-45-70-anybody-using-it
http://www.reloadammo.com/4570load.htm
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hand-l...-k-brass/need-some-loads-using-5744-for-4570/
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/45-70-govt/43383-45-70-accurate-5744-a.html

RustyW

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Both targets were shot at 50yds w/a Ruger #1. I cast both bullets, the RCBS is a gas check design, the Lyman a flat base. I have tried 5744 but didn't have much luck w/it. If you get a chance get some IMR 3031. Start about 43grains & work up. W/the Marlin you may have to find a .459 or .460dia cast bullet for it to shoot w/o leading & get the accuracy you want. I also shoot a jacketed 300gr hollow point w/3031 & it's the most accurate I've found w/my #1. You may find the Hornady FTX brass is a little shorter than other 45/70 brass. The FTX bullet is a little longer so they had to compensate and trim the brass shorter so it will cycle through the lever actions. It bothered me at first when I tried loading cast bullets in the short brass but now I just load & shoot since I only have a single shot there's no need to crimp.

The bottom pic is a target I was shooting at trying to sight in a revolver. I couldn't hit the circle & was getting disgusted, I grabbed the #1 so I could feel better. They're the bigger holes touching each other.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'll second and highly recommend the IMR3031. I finally quit messing with other powders, it's accurate and consistent with bullets from 300-535g, out of a Sharps 1874, and side by side 45/70, Marlin and a T/C Encore pistol.

Dozermonkey

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys ! To me this is the fun part , just seeing what other people use.
The lead, I got from HH in a bag of 500! I'm excited , I've never loaded lead yet so it's a new thing for me to learn. Any tips ? My future plan is to also get the gear to cast bullets. I should have done this years ago. We have a ton of used and new wheel weights in our shop.
Time to go freeze my butt off and move the dozer. Y'all have a good day !

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice big holes in that plate.. but what tiny feet in the picture!

I was at Gene Sears last month and he had some 3031 in an 8LB jug, I like BL-C(2) better for my 30-30 but could not pass this up
so I got an 8lb jug of the 3031
Recently I have been using Varget in the 30-30

Latest posts

Top Bottom