Lets talk Tankless water heaters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quarterly, as in every three months? How much flushing per time?
I flushed it for several hours, since I am too cheap to buy the $100+ flushing kit for it. Used a small pump from Harbor Freight, and Ecolab Calcium, Lime, and Rust remover from Home Depot, and a 5 gallon bucket and old washing machine hoses. The Ecolab C:LR is mostly water and citric acid.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
During the last deep freeze, ONG drove around the neighborhood and asked people to limit the gas use. Folks with the tankless didn’t have enough gas volume and they were all throwing error codes.

Iirc those consume 250k btu when running. That’s more than the natural gas heater in your house.

And you should look at your ONG bill. Most of the cost of service is not the costs of gas, but service fees, except for the coldest winter months.

Cost of gas- $8,
Service fees and other bs- $48

IMG_9552.jpeg

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
During the last deep freeze, ONG drove around the neighborhood and asked people to limit the gas use. Folks with the tankless didn’t have enough gas volume and they were all throwing error codes.

Iirc those consume 250k btu when running. That’s more than the natural gas heater in your house.

And you should look at your ONG bill. Most of the cost of service is not the costs of gas, but service fees, except for the coldest winter months.

Cost of gas- $8,
Service fees and other bs- $48

View attachment 491375
Depends on the unit you get. First one was around 178,000btu, new one is less than half that, IIRC. It only costs about $350, vs. $500 for the old one, which did a 40 degree rise on 6.6gpm. This cheaper unit does 38 degrees on 4gpm. I did have to run 3/4" iron pipe for it. A T and about 3' of larger pipe. The ones Home Depot sell run upwards of $1100. My gas bill with 5 adults runs around $69 a month in the summer. That's with bill averaging. It was closer to $90 in the winter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom