Leupold VX-3HD 6.5-20x50 parallax question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scramp

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just received my scope from Scopelist in PA. They had a great price and immediate delivery.

The question I have is about parallel adjustment. The scope used to have the adjustment on the front lense housing. They now have a knob on the left of the scope as most other scopes. My problem is has hash marks, but no indication as to calibration values other than one indicating infinity.

Other than looking for the down range image clarity or moving you your head to see and eliminate the reticle to target variations, what am I missing.

This is my first Leupold and I can’t understand why it used to have calibration values and now it doesn’t.

Any help in resolving this would be appreciated. I will be posting this same question to Leupold and post their response if and when I receive it.

Thanks
IMG_0154.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Leupold makes custom turrets. I would think a call to them could get that turret modified to your liking.

scramp

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is the response I got from both Scopelist and Leupold. To my surprise, they both responded within an hour. I guess when you buy quality gear from an amazing retailer you get what you pay for.

I can't speak highly enough for both companies. When I found the scope I wanted, I clicked on the "price drop alert, get the deal". They emailed me with a price that was to good to pass up. I hadn't been aware of Scopelist prior to my purchase, but they will be my first source going forward. Tyler was a very pleasant surprise when I needed their customer service. I hope you will consider them in the future.

The following are the two responses I received from Tyler followed by the response fro Leupold. Hopefully it will assist someone else in the future.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Steve,

Parallax/focus markings are debated, and some manufacturers do not mark specific distances on some of their scopes, like this Leupold or the Nightforce NX8 (for example).

While I do not have a strong preference one way or another, one line of thought with regards to hash marks only without distance is that the shooter will not mistakenly rely on the marked distance for their parallax setting. With some scopes, the 200 yard parallax setting doesn't necessarily match the correct setting for shooting at 200 yards. Some believe and/or train that the parallax should be set to whatever setting that actually eliminates parallax error, and can be quickly tested by moving your head around and seeing if the reticle appears to move on the target. This marking situation only gets worse at odd distances, like 273 yards for example, and some shooters may mistakenly set to where they guess the 273 yard setting should be (in between 200 and 300 yards, but closer to 300) and not actually have their parallax set correctly.

Sorry for the long winded answer.

Regards
Tyler

----------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Steve,

I neglected to add that some shooters make their own markings that work for them. I have seen people use paint pens, Sharpies, etc. to mark their parallax knob for various known distance settings. If you are the type to not want to mess up your scope, you can put a piece of painter's or masking tape on the knob and mark out what works for you.

Regards
Tyler

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steven,

The scope ranges from 75 as a minimum to infinity. They are not specifically marked distances because it would take up too much space on the dial to have them marked as such. If you are shooting from 200 yards in though it will not matter. Just adjust the dial until the picture becomes clear and you should be good to go there.

Best regards,

Nate
---- Original Message ----
Technical Service Team,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steve (Me)
After reading Leopold's response, on the opposite side of the parallax knob with the infinity graphic are the words "focus". It may appear that when the lens is dialed in to focus, the parallax is removed.

I hope to make a range trip early next week and will report my results.

Latest posts

Top Bottom