Has my lead furnace died ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shriner2.0

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Went to melt some 100% lead today and the furnace only melted some of the shot I dropped in as a starter, when I added a ingot it harden [ cooled to semi solid] . I have it about a year and used it last fall,it a hour to melt 10lbs to start and 30 minutes for 5lbs after that. Lyman big dip . I have cast for about 5+ years and wore out a 60 year old Saeco my dad got in the late 50s or early 60's.

glassparman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Too bad it's not a Lee. They ship replacement parts for the cost of shipping.

As for your Lyman, the heat element will go out. Check with Lyman to see if they have parts.

Shriner2.0

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
It lives !!! I tore it down last night and found a wire going to the control corroded at the connector like a big drop of sweat landed on in China when it was assembled and over time ate up the wire so it would heat up but not carry enough current to melt lead . I repaired it and cast up 50 Lee key-drive slugs ( 25-7/8 oz, 25-1 oz and about 6 molds of #00 buck ( 18 pellets at a time ) and everything seems to be running fine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom