LifeStrat on sale at WOOT today only

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great product. There are several similar ones out there, too. A couple smaller, a couple with better filtration, but the price per unit is great.

It's $19.95 on Amazon with Prime shipping. Of course, on Woot, it's $14.99 and $5 shipping for as many as you want to order.... so buying one on Woot or Amazon is the same, but if you buy 5 or 10 you can save alot on the shipping with Woot, as it would be only $5 to ship your whole order.

I've bought from Woot dozens of times over the years and they are gtg.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
BTW, the Sawyer Mini is in the same pricerange on Amazon and claims up to 100,000 gallons and is around half the size of the LifeStraw with more accessories. It filters to .1 microns (LifeStraw is .2).

<edit> Sawyer has a "standard" bottle thread... and is Made in the USA.

austin.brown

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
BTW, the Sawyer Mini is in the same pricerange on Amazon and claims up to 100,000 gallons and is around half the size of the LifeStraw with more accessories. It filters to .1 microns (LifeStraw is .2).

<edit> Sawyer has a "standard" bottle thread... and is Made in the USA.

I just saw one of these at Walmart. Have you used them before?

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read a review on them that says they are good for filtering bacteria and sediment but doesn't filter dissolved chemicals, viruses, or particles smaller than 2 micron. Seems like it would be OK to use for flowing water but not wise for use on stagnate/dirty water.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read a review on them that says they are good for filtering bacteria and sediment but doesn't filter dissolved chemicals, viruses, or particles smaller than 2 micron. Seems like it would be OK to use for flowing water but not wise for use on stagnate/dirty water.

Nothing short of a charcoal or other absorption filter will remove dissolved contaminants or chemicals like fuel, etc., in water.

The LifeStraw will filter down to 0.2 microns (not 2 microns.... 0.2) and the Sawyer Mini will filter down to 0.1 microns. It does work on nasty water... but not necessarily contaminated. Check out the YouTube videos of either and see it taking dirty nasty brown water from ponds and such to clear, clean drinking water. One of the reviewers on Amazon for the Mini works in Fiji and has been using the higher-volume versions of the Sawyer for over 5 years and says they are as good as day one.

I've never used either of them, but I just ordered a Sawyer Mini based on the smaller particulate filtration and the 100,000-gallon rating. I will check it out when it gets here Thursday and post my thoughts.

And on YouTube, there are people literally drinking POOP WATER through theirs. Damn. I'd say that says a lot for their confidence in the product. :ooh2:

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're right, damn decimal points!!

Here is the article I was reading about it.

http://snarkynomad.com/the-one-problem-no-lifestraw-review-ever-mentions/

He was quoting this Lifesaver 4000 bottle which filters down to .015 microns which is supposed to be small enough to catch viruses. Down side is Amazon has it up for $163 vs $15. He was also praising the Sawyer. As far as poop water, brave brave guys there! Good to trust your gear but not good to die trying to prep for shtf! The real question is how much did those guys post after they did that! lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom