List of endorsements for the 2013 AWB

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guarantee that almost every single one of those organizations on that list are liberal. Most were from California and we all know how liberal they are.

Not all of Commifornia is liberal. Where I grew up (and my parents and friends still live) is conservative, and many of them love their firearms and hate the firearm laws of CA. The problem is that the costal areas, and highly populated areas are extremely liberal and don't really know their ass from a hole in the ground.

53convert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
used to be a methodist but that ended abruptly when the church decided it was ok for gays to be preist and to marry gays...............thats when I quiet them.
the rest on the list.............No longer a member of the Chiefs of police association as I retired out of that 15 years ago.............the rest can got frack themselves

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like the usual suspects to me. I am a little surprised at so many religious groups though.

Liberation Theology

A movement that sprang from late 20th-century Roman Catholicism and has found a particularly welcoming environment in Latin America, liberation theology holds that the church must stand on the side of the impoverished and the downtrodden, and that it must, if necessary, support the overthrow of social systems that contribute to their oppression. Its more extreme advocates believe that capitalism is chief among the oppressive systems in causing social and material inequities around the world.

This movement is usually held to have begun with the second Latin American Bishops’ Conference, which was held in Colombia in 1968. At that conference, the attending bishops proposed to combine the teachings of Jesus Christ with those of Karl Marx as a way of justifying violent revolution to overthrow the economics of capitalism. The bishops interpreted every biblical criticism of the rich as a mandate to redistribute wealth from the haves to the have-nots, and every expression of compassion for the poor as a call for a social uprising by peasants and workers. At the end of the conference, the bishops issued a document affirming the rights of the poor and accusing industrialized nations of enriching themselves at the expense of Third World countries.
http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/guideDesc.asp?catid=131&type=issue

Many today associate Liberation Theology with Roman Catholicism, and considering the influence of Liberation Theology in Latin America, this claim is not unwarranted. However, there are in fact Protestant approaches to Liberation Theology (though they are often forgotten).

I have compiled a list of Protestant liberationists for quick reference, and I will probably expand upon it as I find more examples. Since one can easily copy and paste these names into any search engine and find plenty on them, I am just listing the names and their specific religious affiliations (if available).

James Cone, African Methodist Episcopal Church
Frederick Herzog, German Reformed/United Church of Christ
Jose Miguez-Bonino, Methodist
Dorothee Sölle (or Soelle), Lutheran
Elsa Tamez, Methodist
Walter Altmann, Lutheran
Jeremiah Wright, United Church of Christ
Marcella Althaus-Reid
Chung Hyun Kyung, Presbyterian
Rubin Phillip, Anglican
Naim Ateek, Anglican
Allan Boesak, Dutch Reformed
Roland Boer, Presbyterian/Reformed
Robert McAfee Brown, Presbyterian
J. Deotis Roberts, Sr.
Ingemar Hedström, Swedish Reformed
Martin Luther King, Jr., Baptist
Desmond Tutu, Anglican
Rosemary Radford Ruether, Nondenominational with a past in Catholicism and Anglicanism
http://koinoniarevolution.wordpress.com/2013/01/12/protestantism-and-liberation-theology/
I would not take this list as being necessarily 100% correct.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am as well, though I do know many of the northeastern US diocese have come out against gun violence. It doesn't surprise me.

I think we all agree that we're against "gun violence" the issue is what are appropriate measures to address criminal violence while still respecting our Constitutionally guaranteed rights and then also only taking steps that might actually be effective against criminal violence.

BTW - for all my fellow Catholics, the Catholic Church has taken no position on this domestic US issue. The "Catholic" organizations cited above are merely associations of particular subsets of Catholics - their opinions may vary and they do not speak for the Church.

I found an article about the press conference where various U.S. religious "leaders" pledged their support to a ban - it was a typical rogue's gallery of left-wing, and generally disobedient Catholics, along with one or two liberal bishops. It was a very predictable bunch of folks. I can't speak to the Protestant and Jewish members listed but they seemed to be of a similar stripe within their own faith communities.

hard_r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
used to be a methodist but that ended abruptly when the church decided it was ok for gays to be preist and to marry gays...............thats when I quiet them.
the rest on the list.............No longer a member of the Chiefs of police association as I retired out of that 15 years ago.............the rest can got frack themselves
As if they weren't people with rights just like you. I smell a bigot. Lets do an experiment. I'm going to replace one word in your sentence.

"used to be a methodist but that ended abruptly when the church decided it was ok for blacks to be preist and to marry blacks...............thats when I quiet them." I assume you would never say this. SO I wonder why it's okay to be bigoted toward one minority but not the other..... You don't like being hated and discriminated against for being a gun owner and having your rights taken away, but when another group gets more rights, you are against it? It stinks of hypocrisy.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As if they weren't people with rights just like you. I smell a bigot. Lets do an experiment. I'm going to replace one word in your sentence.

"used to be a methodist but that ended abruptly when the church decided it was ok for blacks to be preist and to marry blacks...............thats when I quiet them." I assume you would never say this. SO I wonder why it's okay to be bigoted toward one minority but not the other..... You don't like being hated and discriminated against for being a gun owner and having your rights taken away, but when another group gets more rights, you are against it? It stinks of hypocrisy.

Look, this is the USA and he has every right to think and feel the way he wants to as the stupid hole in the head libs think that by banning "evil guns" that there will be no violence. As a matter of discussion, was the whole church bigoted before they changed their mind? What if you replaced blacks or gays with child molesters? Then is he bigoted against child molesters? I AM!

bigot: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

I think we all agree that we're against "gun violence" the issue is what are appropriate measures to address criminal violence while still respecting our Constitutionally guaranteed rights and then also only taking steps that might actually be effective against criminal violence.

I am all for "gun violence". I believe that gun violence may save my families or my life at some point so I am all for gun violence. I am against crime and those criminals that perpetrate the crimes.

hard_r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look, this is the USA and he has every right to think and feel the way he wants to as the stupid hole in the head libs think that by banning "evil guns" that there will be no violence.
I agree that he has that right. I was simply pointing out the irony of claiming persecution while persecuting others.
As a matter of discussion, was the whole church bigoted before they changed their mind?
Yes. Yes it was. And most still are.
What if you replaced blacks or gays with child molesters? Then is he bigoted against child molesters? I AM!
The difference is that child molesters have victims and involve others' rights. That's a bad comparison, but now I know you see homosexuals on the same level as sex offenders. That is very revealing of your character. I didn't want to hijack this thread, I was merely commenting on the hypocrisy of wanting only the rights that you use and denying rights to others.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I noticed that I did not see an edorsement from other mainstream religious organizations such as:

The People's Front of Judea
Judean People's Front
Judean Popular People's Front
Campaign for a Free Galilee
Popular Front of Judea

Latest posts

Top Bottom