• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Oklahoma City Local Beef!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
$5/lb hanging weight for the steer, $1/lb hanging weight for processing +$50. Assuming 300 lbs hanging weight. If my math is correct, that's $1850 for approximately 180 lbs of finished weight and it's vacuum wrapped. Let me know if I did a calculation wrong, but if truly $10/lb it kind of prices me out of the local beef market. That might not be bad for t-bones/ribeyes but majority of what you get back is ground. Wish I could support local but can't at those prices. Not saying anything bad about the product as I have never tried so it may very well be worth it. Looks like possibly another trip to CO is in my near future(buy from a local guy in Alamosa).

Oklahomajake1776

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
$5/lb hanging weight for the steer, $1/lb hanging weight for processing +$50. Assuming 300 lbs hanging weight. If my math is correct, that's $1850 for approximately 180 lbs of finished weight and it's vacuum wrapped. Let me know if I did a calculation wrong, but if truly $10/lb it kind of prices me out of the local beef market. That might not be bad for t-bones/ribeyes but majority of what you get back is ground. Wish I could support local but can't at those prices. Not saying anything bad about the product as I have never tried so it may very well be worth it. Looks like possibly another trip to CO is in my near future(buy from a local guy in Alamosa).
That math is about right. I totally understand it's a big chunk at one time. If you were going to buy all the cuts that come with a half, it's a good deal. If you're comparing prices with the lower priced cuts at the supermarket, we can't beat the price of the big feedlots that are feeding thousands of animals at a time.

If you are local to Shawnee, you can check out our individual cuts at One Sixty Processing. Our stuff just went in their frozen case today, I went up and saw it myself a few hours ago. We matched most of their regular pricing on this first batch of inventory.

To me, especially on ground beef, knowing that it all came from one animal is worth a lot. The big box stuff that was blended 100s of thousands of pounds at a time from who knows how many animals grosses me out.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Appreciate the reply. I haven't bought red meat from a grocery store in many, many years. Always been 100% grass fed at least the last 9-10 years. Some prefer getting the grain finish but the guy we buy from in CO doesn't give them any grain or I bet his prices would be much higher too.

commandcomm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I researched before buying from Jake and $5 a pound is the going rate in Oklahoma for buying from local ranchers.

In 2021, the price was about $3 per pound. However, we all know how inflation has effected the agriculture marketplace…and everything else.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I hope I am not hijacking this thread, it is not my intent. Please delete or ask me to delete if this is not informative/ useful.

It is hard to beat the chain prices. Their feedlots are pumping hormones for faster growth and their packing houses are adding water or salt water to add cheap weight. I get the need for a low cost, we want it as well. My feed prices are up significantly. I used to be able to buy some extra steers for $200-300. Those cheap steers are now $500-600. The cost for my calves to hit the ground to 1200 pounds has doubled. The costs are going to keep hurting producers and consumers. And the mass produced beef is going up as well, the amount of animals produced has dropped year to year and is trending down. I am no longer buying steers at market, the model no longer works for me. The costs are not trending to be profitable. It is now just what I can produce from my stock. It is sad really.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP'ers prices seem inline with what I just paid. My neighbor raises/sells his beef. They are grass fed and grain finished for 120 days. Hanging weight was 370#. I paid $1924 and $352 for the butcher. Got from neighbor last year too and was marginally less expensive. He deliivered four big sacks of meat yesterday to my house. Didn't weigh them but they were every bit of 55-60# each. FIlled my 20cu ft upright freezer almost 2/3 full.

Latest posts

Top Bottom