Local First-Aid Supplies?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arin Morris

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son is going to work on his first-aid merit badge and part of the prerequisites is to create a home first-aid kit. We are following the guidelines in the Boy Scout book and I have to be honest, I hadn't heard of some of these things before. After some Googling, I've figured out what he needs, but I'm having a hard time finding some of them locally. Most of the items I bought at Wal-Mart, but I can't seem to find moleskin the size they are wanting and anybody that carries triangular bandages or gel pads. Anybody have a local source for 3"x6" moleskin, gel pads for blisters and burns and triangular bandages?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you checked the bigger pharmacy stores like CVS and Walgreens? They've got a pretty good selection.

(and a triangular bandage can just be a bandanna, or a USGI cravat, a.k.a. "Bandage, muslin, compressed, camouflaged"...find those on ebay or maybe at brigadoon's surplus)

securitysix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They must have changed some things. I was in the Boy Scouts for about 30 seconds or so way back in the early '90s. My dad pulled me out of it when our troop leader kept cancelling meetings at the last minute with no notice to anyone. But I do still have my Webelos book. The home first aid kit is listed on page 271 of my book (copyright 1991). It says you need:

1 Dozen 3"x3" sterile pads
Box of adhesive bandages (different sizes)
Roll of 1" adhesive tape
Thermometer
Scissors
Tweezers
Safety pins
Two 2" roller bandages
Two 1" roller bandages
Three triangular bandages
Three cravat bandages
Two 30" splints of thin board
Calamine lotion

No mention of a "moleskin", whatever that is, or gel pads. I guess gel pads weren't a thing 20 years ago, either, so...

Arin Morris

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you checked the bigger pharmacy stores like CVS and Walgreens? They've got a pretty good selection.

Yes, they have moleskin, but nothing else.

(and a triangular bandage can just be a bandanna, or a USGI cravat, a.k.a. "Bandage, muslin, compressed, camouflaged"...find those on ebay or maybe at brigadoon's surplus)

Bandanna sounds good.

They must have changed some things. I was in the Boy Scouts for about 30 seconds or so way back in the early '90s. My dad pulled me out of it when our troop leader kept cancelling meetings at the last minute with no notice to anyone. But I do still have my Webelos book. The home first aid kit is listed on page 271 of my book (copyright 1991). It says you need:

1 Dozen 3"x3" sterile pads
Box of adhesive bandages (different sizes)
Roll of 1" adhesive tape
Thermometer
Scissors
Tweezers
Safety pins
Two 2" roller bandages
Two 1" roller bandages
Three triangular bandages
Three cravat bandages
Two 30" splints of thin board
Calamine lotion

No mention of a "moleskin", whatever that is, or gel pads. I guess gel pads weren't a thing 20 years ago, either, so...

Page 128 of the newest is manual has the following:

A 2-inch roller bandage
2 1-inch roller bandages
A roll of 1-inch adhesive tape
24 alcohol swabs
A box of assorted adhesive bandages
2 3-inche-wide elastic bandages
12 steril, 3-by-3-inch gauze pads
4 3-by-6inch pieces of moleskin
2 packets of gel pads for blisters and burns
A tube of triple antibiotic ointment
4 triangular bandages
A small bar of soap, or a travel-sized bottle of alcohol-based hand sanitizing gel
Scissors
Tweezers
12 safety pins
6 pairs of nonlatex disposable gloves
Protective goggles/safety glasses
CPR breathing barrier
Pencil and paper

Optional but recommended:
An instant cold compact
A space blanket
A SAM Splint

Check with United Pharmacy in Yukon.

Yukon's a little out of my way. Thanks though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom