Long Action Caliber Options for a 700 build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh P

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I’ve got a few 700 long actions I’ve either bought or traded for and I’m gonna start putting some of these together. A couple are just long actions and one is a magnum long action. What caliber barrel would you put on to keep for yourself? To sell? One of the actions already has a 280 barrel on it so I’m thinking something other than that, maybe 6.5x284? I don’t want something too crazy since I have a 6xc, and 22br and a 6bra I’ve already gotta reload for so I want something I can get factory ammo but reload in a jiffy. And don’t @270 me no one buys those.
IMG_7761.jpeg

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Magnum, long action? 30/378 Weatherby. Something you can buy ammo for.? 378 weatherby magnum. but factory ammo won’t be cheap.

Regards,
I didn't think the bolt face would open up enough for the monster Weatherby rounds. I seen a .338/.378 Weatherby mag that somebody tried to make work and it was a hack job. I would have never touched that thing off.

Josh P

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually the 6.5x284 is both but most prefer a long action with less bullet depth.
Same with the 6mm rem although it is a short action most reloaded prefer it on a long scrim since it gives you more variety on bullet depth with no draw backs

Latest posts

Top Bottom