Long Action Caliber Options for a 700 build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh P

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you a member of a gun range? Going to matches and seeing what other people are having success with is another idea. Thats kind of how I got into f class shooting.
Unfortunately we don’t have a range in elk. I’ve got land to shoot on but that’s it. Somehow I’m the only one of my friends that’s hunts or shoots really so I mainly just piddle at my farm when I get spare time. i always wanted to do some shooting outside of hunting and playing just never really knew anybody to get into it. Did some pistol and ar stuff but that was mostly just tactical classes.

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You would have to get a new barrel. 30 cal (.308) is bigger the 6.5mm. (.264) Are you going to do a pre fit barrel or a custom barrel. My vote is a 6mm or 6.5mm short action round. you can look into some 7mm that are being used in F class shooting. 7 PRC might be a good one to look into.

Last edited:

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would you rechamber a 30-06 barrel? Or just get a new one?
As the other Clint said, you'd have to have a 6.5 barrel blank or some kind of 6.5 barrel that could be rechambered, like a 6.5x55, 260 Rem, etc. I would think a new barrel would be best though, get to pick your twist rate then.

SPOONBILL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tell yo what I think would be sexy is an aught 6with a 26 inch 1.250 straight bull barrel. I have been threating to build one for a while. I just haven't found the right donor action yet. Clint Bailey mentioned the 6.5-06 and I can second that one. I have a 6.5-06 Improved and it does a number on game. Really the sky is the limit here as long as a man can find components.

Latest posts

Top Bottom