Looking for someone to work on M1903

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoo-t

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there anyone in the OKC area that does quality restoration work on 1903 Springfields?

I haven't really decided exactly what I want to do, but I'm hoping to talk to someone knowledgeable on the subject to help me make that decision. I sent an email to James River Armory, but haven't gotten a response beyond an automated response that they received my message. I've had CMP recommended to me, but it appears they use reproduction stocks. I would prefer to have an original stock on it. I haven't contacted them yet. Maybe they can do it with original wood.

The rifle is a Springfield Armory M1903 ca. 1912 (sn 514904). The rifle was apparently rebuilt approximately 1942-43. The stamping on the barrel behind the front sight is "S A" and "5-42" with the flaming bomb. It has a "scant" stock and swept back bolt handle which all support WWII rebuild. My father "sporterized" the rifle when he returned from WWII. The handguard and hardware, and bayonet are missing. The stock has had about 12" cut from it.

The options I'm currently considering are:
- Full restoration to 1942 rebuild
- Full restoration to 1912 manufacture
- Return to 1942 rebuild without full restoration
- Return to 1912 manufacture without full restoration

If anyone has sage advice for me, I'd love to hear/read it. If there is someone local that does quality work, I would greatly appreciate recommendations!

Just so you know, I am aware of the low serial number issue. This rifle holds significant sentimental value, so I'd like to fix it up even if only as a "wall hanger". Here are a few pics -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f2du8uqbxfkg17a/2014-02-28 17.14.56.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mbif4h9m9o6dzow/2014-02-28 17.17.17.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ez1qixstdmdraaf/2014-02-28 17.19.26.jpg

Thank you!
Steve

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Join the CMP forums, post a WTB ad for the parts that you are looking for, and do the work yourself. It's not worth the cost of involving a gunsmith on something this simple. You just need the following parts:

replacement stock
handguard
milled lower band with sling swivel and screw
milled upper band (also called bayonet band) with stacking swivel and screws

Since the rifle has been rebarreled there is no reason in trying to purchase "correct" parts. Finding a correct dated barrel, correct stock, etc would nearly be impossible and not monetarily feasible. Unless you specifically dislike the scant stock, it would be the best option as they are least expensive of the USGI 1903 stocks. You might also try contacting Dupage Trading as the regularly have stocks and parts available, even if they are not listed on their site. If you need any assistance, I am local and can lend a hand.

Last edited:

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Join the CMP forums. Post a WTB ad for the parts that you are looking for and do the work yourself. It's not worth the cost of involving a gunsmith on something this simple. You just need a replacement stock, handguard, handguard retaining ring, milled lower band, and milled upper band (bayonet band).

This is my opinion also.

hoo-t

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Join the CMP forums, post a WTB ad for the parts that you are looking for, and do the work yourself. It's not worth the cost of involving a gunsmith on something this simple. You just need the following parts:

replacement stock
handguard
milled lower band with sling swivel and screw
milled upper band (also called bayonet band) with stacking swivel and screws

Since the rifle has been rebarreled there is no reason in trying to purchase "correct" parts. Finding a correct dated barrel, correct stock, etc would nearly be impossible and not monetarily feasible. Unless you specifically dislike the scant stock, it would be the best option as they are least expensive of the USGI 1903 stocks. You might also try contacting Dupage Trading as the regularly have stocks and parts available, even if they are not listed on their site. If you need any assistance, I am local and can lend a hand.

Hey coolhandluke -

Thanks so much for your advice and offer of assistance! Your suggestions are actually what I first considered. But you know how it is, you look at it and start thinking about the possibilities, and the next thing you know, you're over your head. I may (read probably) take you up on your offer!

Thank you!
Steve

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No problem Steve.

You might also try contacting Bob Visscher from the CMP forums. His username is Springfield3. Bob has a large amount of 1903 and 03A3 parts on hand at very reasonable prices. He hooked me up with several Smith Corona parts on a recent restoration that I undertook. His email is bowhunter1903 (at symbol) aol.com.

I had all of the parts but the stock and handguard on hand just a couple months ago, but unfortunately I sold them to another CMP member in AK.

hoo-t

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I contacted Bob, and he was fantastic to work with. We set up the perfect package to get my 1903 to exactly where I want it. Unfortunately, when it came to the money, I experienced extreme sticker shock. I had found almost the same package at SarcoInc.com for about half the price.

Now the rest of the story:

I had contacted James River Armory through their "Contact Us" link on their website, regarding their restoration services. Never got a response.
I had contacted CMP also through their "Contact Us" link on their website. Never got a response.
I had contacted SarcoInc.com through their "Contact Us" link on their website. Never got a response.

When a company puts a "Contact Us" link on their website, and then ignores inquiries they receive because of that link, it gives me a really bad feeling about doing business with them, and I generally move on. If you're going to ignore your e-mail, why don't you just remove the link???? If anyone from James River Armory, CMP, or SarcoInc.com sees this, please take notice. You have lost my business!

The whole thing has frustrated me to the point of just putting the rifle back in the case and forgetting about it. I may still hit the gunshows and see if I can find anything there. Otherwise the project is dead.

The frustration is compounded by an unrelated (sort of) experience. I had taken a pistol to a local "gunsmith" for a minor repair. He had the gun for about 3 months, wouldn't answer his phone or return my calls. I finally showed up at his house and got my gun back, unrepaired. I immediately took it to a local gun store, and left it there. They said their gunsmith would be in the following day and they'd let me know. Its now been about 2 weeks with no word. I realize that some repairs can take a loong time to accomplish, but this is a simple repair. At worst, I think I deserve a phone call for a status update. Am I being unreasonable?

Coolhandluke, I do want to tell you that I appreciate your help with my M1903 project. As I said earlier in this post, Bob was great to work with, and I feel terrible stepping away from that purchase.

Steve

Last edited:

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Steve,

How much did Bob quote you on the parts? You should be able to find a run of the mill USGI stock set, and complete upper and lower milled bands in the $225 - $250 ballpark. I may very well be incorrect, but the Sarco parts (especially the stock) are likely not USGI. Most stocks that I have seen them offer are Italian made and they are also notorious for selling repro parts.

Don't give up yet. You are likely to have the best luck purchasing out of the classifieds on the CMP forum. Surplus 1903 parts are hard to come by at gunshows and when you see them (like at Wannenmacher) they will be priced at high retail. I'll keep my eye out and shoot you a pm when I run across something that you're looking for.

hoo-t

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The stock and handguard were price at $275. With the hardware, we were right at $400. Its a beautiful stock!

As for Sarco, maybe that's why they didn't respond. I asked if they had a stock marked Springfield Armory. They had select grade stocks offered for $125, and the hardware for $60. No mention of a handguard for the stock, so I had also asked about that. In looking at their website, I saw that they sell reproduction parts, so I was trying to be careful about ensuring that the parts were original and correct.

Thanks again for all your help!
Steve

hoo-t

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the interest of fairness, I need to update:

I received an email from Sarco Inc today. They said they "may" have a stock that will meet my needs. I've e-mailed them back asking them to check on that and let me know with pics.

At first I thought my post here may have prompted the response, but my original inquiry had been forwarded to the person that emailed me the day before my post here.

So, kudos to Sarco Inc for renewing my faith in American business!!!!

Steve

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Steve,

An original 1912 era stock would have had a three letter boxed cartouche of the inspectors initials behind the cut-off recess and a serified P stamp on the wrist behind the trigger guard.

I have not personally seen a SA rebuild stamp on a 1903 stock, but it is my understanding that they exist. Any non-rebuild SA inspector stamps would have been used during the 1930's. If Sarco could dig up a stock with any typical WWII era arsenal rebuild stamp it would be a nice score (any serviceable cartouched stock at that price would be a great deal). Below is a link to a list of the inspector's cartouches that you will find on USGI 1903 stocks. You can see that there are quite a few different options that could possibly be viewed as "correct" if you bring all of the different rebuild arsenals into the equation. Unfortunately, I'm not knowledgeable enough to say which arsenals were specifically active in 1942.

http://m1903.com/isstamps.htm

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom