Luger P.08 questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a Luger P.08 that was handed down from my grandfather. He brought it back from WW2, has holster and 2 magazines. It's a 42 code with "byf" stamped on the top and all numbers matching with black plastic grips. It's in fantastic condition with only minor bluing wear on the grip frame. I don't know whether it's "shooter" or "collector" grade.

My questions...

Who can I take it to for more information and an appraisal?
Is it safe to shoot still?

LDA.45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is definitely safe to shoot...that being said, I would think it is "Collector ".
Personally, I would not shoot it because there is always the chance that something might break.
Put it on the Mantel and enjoy a "Heirloom".

AND if for some reason you decide to sell it....I have first Dib's.....grin

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Holy Crap! They are getting a lot of money for them! The more ive read about them, the more I'm going to keep it locked up in my safe next to my great grandfathers 1913 Colt 1911 that he carried in WW1 and my granddad received permission to carry in WW2. Going to have to up the insurance again.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I've found out, the byf guns had unmarked plastic bottomed magazines. The byf's of 42 series were some of the last ones out of the factory. They were nicknamed "Black Widows" by someone in America trying to drum up value for this style with the plastic grips. They still turn a very pretty penny though.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Holy Crap! They are getting a lot of money for them! The more ive read about them, the more I'm going to keep it locked up in my safe next to my great grandfathers 1913 Colt 1911 that he carried in WW1 and my granddad received permission to carry in WW2. Going to have to up the insurance again.

That 1911 sounds awesome!

Latest posts

Top Bottom