M1903 a3

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My friend, who is not a gun person, has a rifle he got from someone in his family. He was under the impression it was an M1 Garand. It is not. He gave it to me tonight to find out what it is and what it's worth. He is trying to buy a house and is considering selling it for down payment money if it's worth something. I've figured out is a M1903 A3. The back of the barrel by the action is marked "U.S. Remington Model 03-A3 8447956", behind the trigger there is a P with a square around it in the stock. The left side of the stock above the trigger has R.R.A in large letters. The front of the barrel by the front sight says RA 2-43. The stock is in pretty nice shape.

Since it has a bolt action and no tax stamp, it's not something I'm really interested in. So what are these things worth? Is there a market for it?

Attachments

• Remington 006.jpg
    Remington 006.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 245
  • Remington 005.JPG
    Remington 005.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 227
  • Remington 007.jpg
    Remington 007.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 233

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on the condition of the barrel and whether or not all the parts are correct for the manufacturer. For a mixmaster in decent condition with average barrel wear, $700 would be a fair price. $900 for an all-matching rifle in excellent condition with minimal barrel wear. The rifle in question looks to have a replacement stock installed during a rebuild, so I'd say the value would tend toward the lower end of the price range. Are there any other markings on the stock, such as FJA?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The rifle in question looks to have a replacement stock installed during a rebuild, so I'd say the value would tend toward the lower end of the price range.

That's my first impression to. Too clean and the markings are too crisp. Screams replacement stock with counterfeit stamps to me....but that's just a first impression.

sixlimericks

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The back of the barrel by the action is marked "U.S. Remington Model 03-A3 8447956"

That serial is more likely to be '3447956' (there were no 8mil receivers) putting date of manufacture probably Feb '43, which makes the barrel date a match for correctness.
Looks like a post-war re-arsenal at RRA (Red River Army Depot). Stamps look to be correct for what I've seen, although the RRA stamp is kinda smudgy.
I'd agree with the other guys here, probably around the $700 range. Probably a pretty decent shooter if the barrel isn't shot out.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's my first impression to. Too clean and the markings are too crisp. Screams replacement stock with counterfeit stamps to me....but that's just a first impression.

The cartouches on the stock are original and correct for a Red River Arsenal rebuild. The stock was likely replaced in the 1950's and didn't see any use afterwards. Humping this particular stock with arsenal rebuild stamps would be pointless as it doesn't add any value to the rifle. Adding the FJA cartouche etc on a 1903A3 straight stock would be a different story...

The barrel is likely original as it should be dated 1/43 or 2/43. Estimated value would be $650-$750 depending on the overall condition of the rifle. If the rifle were in VG to EXC condition and 100% correct with the original stock the value would be closer to $800-$900.

Last edited:

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Any OKC area guys interested in checking it out in person? I'm not good with conditions. It looks okay to me, but I don't really understand what makes one good, very good, etc. Moboost?

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Any OKC area guys interested in checking it out in person? I'm not good with conditions. It looks okay to me, but I don't really understand what makes one good, very good, etc. Moboost?

If the bore looks good, just tell your friend put an asking price of $750 on it and negotiate from there. There's really no need for an in-person appraisal based on the info that you have already provided.