M1A Muzzle brake

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txnavalaviator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking for some input on what muzzle brake i should put on the M1A.

So far I've been considering the J.P tactical "tank brake"
awww.nokick.com_v_vspfiles_photos_JPTRE_5.58B.925_2T.jpg

or a "rolling thunder comp"
[Broken External Image]

I just want the most effective... i don't care about flash hiding or how loud it is... i just need to be able to use the front sight post. i do care a bit about how it looks.... for instance i am not a fan of smith enterprises coast guard brake or the m14dc brake.

i wonder if the armalite ar-30 brake would work? is it 5/8-24 tpi? that would look amazing.....

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The idea behind the rolling thunder is that it amplifies the sound, makes your one shot sound like 4, Notice the 3 different LARGE openings on each side? They each amplify the sound to a different pitch.

Several small holes are better than a few large holes.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think this is the "tank" break, the other is the standard JP break.

[Broken External Image]

I can not imagine a more huger thing to put on a rifle.

I dunno what the thread is on an M1A, 5/8-24 TPI is the "standard" for 308 AR's it seems.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The idea behind the rolling thunder is that it amplifies the sound, makes your one shot sound like 4, Notice the 3 different LARGE openings on each side? They each amplify the sound to a different pitch.

I've not been around a comp yet that did it's job without producing massive concussive blast, it's just the nature of the beast.

txnavalaviator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just to clarify i DO NOT CARE HOW LOUD IT IS. i have an SBR with a muzzle brake... yes they are loud. I'm asking what the most effective brake for the M1A with some consideration for looks would be ( i am asking for opinion). and i don't know what the actual m1a barrel is threaded however ( http://www.nokick.com/M_14_Threaded_Front_Sight_Base_p/m14-tfsb.htm ) is an adapter that makes it 5/8" 24tpi.

uhh.. they do not amplify the report at all. they redirect all the gasses perpendicular or behind the muzzle. due to the gasses being directed to the side or behind the muzzle the concussion and report of a firearm seems a lot more intense/ violent/ loud because it is no longer rushing down range with the bullet.

muzzle brakes have chambers or large openings for the expanding gasses to hit and be re directed to the side or aft of the barrel to reduce recoil. some designs have the chambers or openings reduce in size because there is less gas to redirect after it has passed the first opening.

and I'm not trying to attack you by any means but if you could hear the difference in sound as the round went through each chamber or if you could even hear anything more than one loud bang i would be thoroughly amazed.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Comps are comps, there was an article a few years ago where a writer built a few test rigs to measure both downforce and recoil reduction. He also mounted a laser on the rifle and used a camera to track the dot around on the target after firing. Here's the article I was thinking of, only involves 223 though.
I can't find the article with the laser photos sadly.

What he found was some comps do perform better than others, but not by a whole lot, and there are some things he just couldn't quantify with his rigs.

In the end comps are comps, you'll find staunch adherents to each of them. In the end I think the Rolling Thunder comp is probably the best buy. Follow Benny's instructions for tuning the thing and you should be good to go. If you have problems with it I have no doubt Benny will stand behind it.

txnavalaviator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
it seems most on the market these days all fit into the 3" long by 1" for competition use.... does anyone make custom brakes in this neck of the woods?? i'm thinking like a "toned down" ar-30 looking brake or a rolling thunder/ jp tactical on a larger scale. having said that i don't think i could live with myself putting the actual jp tank brake on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom