MAC: Korth - The Ultimate Revolver by Nighthawk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I stopped shooting revolvers about 10 years ago so I don't have dog in the fight so to speak. A friend had a Ron Power PPC revolver that I would shoot some, if this video is true the Korth couldn't get close to it, but neither would the Colt.

$480 vs. $3,500 Revolver - Comparing Korth Nighthawk Mongoose & Colt Officers Model Match for DR

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wanted to touch bases on your assertion.

Well this 'billet aluminum' piece had a big ol' spot where there was an uneven metal "vane" sticking out after 'machining' that was probably .002" thick and a full 1/8" wide. It broke off with almost no pressure when I gave it a push with a little brass punch. Here's the aftermath photos that I just took now (gun needed torn apart and cleaned anyway).

That vane resembled any kind of casting flash you'd see on a poor quality gun...almost like something you'd see on the outside of a plastic toy at the dollar store.

View attachment 262218

As you can see, there is still enough of it left to show up on a cell phone camera. I'd expect this from a Taurus, but not S&W.

However, I see no other evidence of casting marks, so I will concede that you're correct and this is somehow billet. But I don't know what kind of machining they do there at S&W...here's another example of left over material in the same gun (in green).

View attachment 262220
Coming from about 25 years of machining and manufacturing here. Yes that "vane" is simply a large burr left in there from the machining. Could have been that the slotting cutter used to cut the recess to hold the sideplate tang had been reground too many times or just a tool length offset set a couple of thousandths off. It's in an area that has basically no function to the mechanism as long as it's not impinging on the hammer. I agree with you that it's piss poor workmanship but they all do that stuff these days. Ruger has been bad about not touching anything that didn't have to be touched inside their revolvers for about forever it seems. That's just the "cost reduction world" we live in today, they let the customer do the QC. They gamble that there won't be an issue and if there is they'll fix it. Most will never pull the sideplate like you did and would never be the wiser.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Coming from about 25 years of machining and manufacturing here. Yes that "vane" is simply a large burr left in there from the machining. Could have been that the slotting cutter used to cut the recess to hold the sideplate tang had been reground too many times or just a tool length offset set a couple of thousandths off. It's in an area that has basically no function to the mechanism as long as it's not impinging on the hammer. I agree with you that it's piss poor workmanship but they all do that stuff these days. Ruger has been bad about not touching anything that didn't have to be touched inside their revolvers for about forever it seems. That's just the "cost reduction world" we live in today, they let the customer do the QC. They gamble that there won't be an issue and if there is they'll fix it. Most will never pull the sideplate like you did and would never be the wiser.

Yeah, I'd have lost a bet on that burr not being a casting flashing as wide as it was...literally went across the corner there. Either way, the little revolver works but is my last new S&W. I am fortunate to own 18 different S&W revolvers, and was so taken aback when I started working on that 637 that I just assumed they made the aluminum frames the same way Ruger does all of their revolver frames.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to shoot a Korth last fall. I had no idea what it was, it had recently been purchased by a friend's uncle, who was kind enough to let a bunch of us try it out.

Fantastic gun, my buddies were all ooh and ahh - I still had no idea until I went home and looked it up on the 'net. Beautiful gun, etc....but not for that kind of cash. That said, if you have loads of money, why not? It is a fine weapon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom