Magpul Angled fore grip...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just ran into this on another forum...Think about what he is describing and then look at the picture from The Euro Rifle Championships...Like I said it forces you into the correct position and as such it seems to be a huge success...at least for one guy!

"Enter the Magpul AFG. It looked cheap and interesting enough that I picked one up and slapped it on my 16" gun, which wears a rifle length YHM quad rail tube.

THIS THING IS AWESOME (for me, at least). After playing a bit with its location and various ways of gripping it, I've settled on placing it as far forward as possible but in such a way that when I wrap my thump over the top and my index finger along the tube, my finger tip does not pass the end of the tube. After a bit of practice (150 rounds or so) I was able to consistently land 8 out of 10 shots on the upper A/B offhand, with a crappy red dot, at about 1 shot per second splits.

From not being able to hit the A/B to 8/10 hits is just awesome for me. I'm sure that more experienced shooters will find this to either be a gimmick or a crutch but I'm just loving it. Just figured I'll let people know, I can't be the only one for which this works."

POSITIVE DISCONTENT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I found one in FDE and the locals don't even have it in black. Gimmick or not I look at the way I hold a rifle and use my sling and think this is going to give me the most consistency between AR, Shotty and long range gun. I maybe way off but I will know when I use it...

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A sling is a shooting aide, and a way to carry a rifle. The F.M.D. is just a way to grip a rifle...they serve different purposes. As for deploying a rifle from say a low ready, with the proprer hold, the rifle will settle much faster on target than gripping a F.M.D....however the "new" Magpul will probaly be about the same as a propper grip, as it forces you to "do it right" as pictured. The sling in the picture is a Ching sling if you were wondering. here is a small thumb nail picture of the setup. KurtM

I was wondering more from the viewpoint of putting rearward pressure to weld the rifle in. In that, they can serve the same purpose, right?

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well...not so much, a sling..like a loop sling or Ching sling, not just a strap used to Carry the rifle..or hasty sling, allows for the tension to "lock in the rifle" WITHOUT any tension in the hands holding the rifle, which allows the rifle to recoil in a very predictable mannor...ie accuracy and rapid sight recovery, and allows for precise trigger control

Pulling back with the same force on the F.M.D. will cause several bad things to happen. First is sympathetic hand motion, if one hand pulls hard the other will pull hard and this will cause low left hits, and bad trigger control. Second off, all as the bolt returns to battery the whole rifle will tend to dip causing precious time to be lost in sight recovery. Don't believe it? just grab hold of your F.M.D. good and hard, pull it into your shoulder like a good tight sling would, and have a friend drop your bolt from bolt lock onto and empty chamber and see what happens.

BTW this also the biggest problem most folks have with a full auto guns, they tend to want to really grab onto and pull back the fore-end to "control" the gun. This cause all sorts of shot dispersion. the firearm should just rest in your front hand with about as much grip as one of those really pansy handshakes we all hate so much...try it... you will see I am not wrong! You will be MUCH faster shot to shot and your group will be much better as well. KurtM

POSITIVE DISCONTENT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm actually more interested in that cheek piece than the angled foregrip. I've not used one yet, but my son's AR is a bit too big for him to get a proper cheek wield on with his tiny kid-sized head.

I have a flat top upper and I like the A2 carry handle and scope is on top of that. Will let you know how I like it...

Latest posts

Top Bottom