Making me curious

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a 6.5x55, loved that rifle and round.
When I was looking to replace it, the uproar over the 6.5 Creed was full full blown.

Looked around, finally landed on .260 Rem. Couldn't be happier.

6.5x55 was loaded with 120gr bullets.
.260 loves the same.

Creedmoor is 90% marketing hype, same as .270. Never owned either. .30-06 and .260 will do everything and more.
Got a 7.65 x 53 Argentine Mauser i put a peep on and had real nice checkering done by far my favorite rifle great shape matching number rifle

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, that 6.5x55 was born legendary. I kick myself every time I think about some the beautiful Swede rifle I’ve coon fingered and put back on the rack, especially at the prices they were fetching back then. Moboost definitely hooked you up with a gem. It’s my understanding that the 6.5 CM is an attempt to emulate that ballistic profile in a short action. Physics being those unavoidable rules, a person really has to get specific in their process to find the nodes that equal what appear to be “zones“ in the larger cartridge.

The trans-sonic range of some of the newer rounds is what grabs my attention mostly. The fact that most of my older pipes aren’t wound tight enough to take advantage of the new tech dennishoddy mentioned almost makes it cost effective to pick up a new shooter to try them out. Maybe preserve some collector value as well in the old stuff.

So, is everyone replacing their Creedmor with something new or falling back on old standards with new potential?

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Old man I grew up around bought a 6.5 win mag model 70 Westerner when they came out. He cut bullets out of a piece of 6.5mm copper ground rod. Used tool and die lathe for bullet profilè and weight around 130gr.
Vaporìzing coyotes at 500yd+ long range in 1958 was a slick trick. Using recycled military ball powder too. I figure he was pushing 3500fps with his loads. The crack of the report was really intense.
I watched 2 mile shooters range testing 50 BMG in a huge bench rest bolt gun at Whittington. Expènsive pursuit

1911DA

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never did understand the use for the 6.5 creedmore as the .260 Remington IMHO would out perform the creedmore ..........as was stated earlier the need for sales drives the newest latest and greatest by the gun writers driving sales.

When l was younger the .264 was the best long range cartridge but what they didn't tell ya the barrel was burnt up by 750-800 rounds............ but the 25-06 and the .270 would kill just as far or farther out and not burn out the barrel as fast, the components more available and more economical.

Its all a shell game to drive sales of new firearms and components and gun magazines.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny you mention the .25-06. I have one that belonged to my dad. He was on a mule deer hunt up in Colorado years ago with a bunch of guys. They were glassing a buck across a little valley and after a bit the others decided to get up and move on. My dad asked if nobody wanted the buck and when they all said it was too far he commenced to roll up his coat to rest on and popped that dude at 815 yards. Obviously the fun left town with the report of the shot. LOL Most of my kin on that side are like frontier riflemen. A ratty looking deer rifle, a squirrel gun and a shotty of some sort. But if they can see it they can kill it in one shot. Probably not a boutique cartridge in that whole side of the family.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I now own 3 6.5's, and none are the 6.5CM...I know several others that like the CM, and have good luck with it, I'm just not the "fad" type...my 6.5x55 and 6.5-06 have performed well so far, and I bet the new 260R will do fine too
That 6.5-06 is a curiosity. I’m interested in hearing about how the throat erosion runs in that as it’s kind of straddling the overbore line. With a slightly slower burn powder in a 24-26” pipe it oughta be something.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That 6.5-06 is a curiosity. I’m interested in hearing about how the throat erosion runs in that as it’s kind of straddling the overbore line. With a slightly slower burn powder in a 24-26” pipe it oughta be something.
I got this one from my dad, and not sure how many rounds it has thru it. I've only shot probably 250, maybe 300 myself. I don't hotrod much, shooting a 123 gr A Max in it at just over 3k.

And more to answer your question, the 6.5 PRC and various Nosler rounds seems to have gained popularity over the 6.5CM here lately.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got this one from my dad, and not sure how many rounds it has thru it. I've only shot probably 250, maybe 300 myself. I don't hotrod much, shooting a 123 gr A Max in it at just over 3k.

And more to answer your question, the 6.5 PRC and various Nosler rounds seems to have gained popularity over the 6.5CM here lately.
6.5-06 is between .270 and .25-06, as far as overbore.
Throat erosion/barrel life is no worse.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m trying to build up the courage to try and get one of those structured barrels past my wife. Since the odds of getting more than one are beyond winning the lottery ten times I had better make it count. I think it’s Berger makes a 158gr 6.5 boolit, and I saw a 7mm at around 190gr plus or minus a couple the other day. I suppose it comes down to case capacity and recoil tolerance. I need to print t-shirts that says “All my nerve damage is self inflicted “.

Latest posts

Top Bottom