Manchin says he's working with NRA on universal background check bill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But is the NRA working with Manchin?

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) said Thursday that he was working on a bill with Senate colleagues and the National Rifle Association (NRA) that would implement universal background checks, a major component of President Obama's proposed gun-control reforms.

Manchin, a member of the NRA, had not previously endorsed any specific measures to address gun violence.

"I’m working on a bill right now with other senators — Democrats and Republicans — we’re trying to get it, and looking at a background check that basically says that if you’re going to be a gun owner, you should be able to pass a background check, to be able to get [universal background checks]," Manchin told Metro News radio's "Talkline," in an interview reported by The Washington Post.

Later Thursday, a spokesman for the NRA said that while the group was working with members of Congress to "address the problems with the background check system," the group would not support expanding background checks to include private transfers.

"If Sen. Manchin supports putting private transfers between law-abiding citizens under the thumb of the Obama-Holder justice department, we will vigorously oppose those efforts," said NRA spokesman Andrew Arulanandam.

Full Story

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can guarantee that they aren't. Manchin is a liberal piece of dirt. I don't even know why he is a member of the NRA. He is a disgrace to it. If I were them I would revoke his membership for the things that he has said and wants done.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Negotiating Rights Away.

:scratch:

Later Thursday, a spokesman for the NRA said that while the group was working with members of Congress to "address the problems with the background check system," the group would not support expanding background checks to include private transfers.

"If Sen. Manchin supports putting private transfers between law-abiding citizens under the thumb of the Obama-Holder justice department, we will vigorously oppose those efforts," said NRA spokesman Andrew Arulanandam.

Sounds like Manchin is doing a little name dropping to try and help turn around the backlash.

tulsamal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the incredibly rare instance where I decide to sell a gun, if it was going to be a private sale to someone I've never met, I can see the utility of the background check. To limit my liability if nothing else. HOWEVER... before you yell at me... I'm talking a strictly voluntary type of thing. I would NOT support a mandatory system for obvious reasons. But if they want to pass a law that says gunstores "must run background checks for private citizens who want to do one and do it for a low fee," I can live with that. It sounds like a good compromise on TV and the average non-gun citizen wouldn't know the difference.

Then it would be up to you. You could still make a private sale just like before. If you are comfortable with that. But you could also drive to your local transfer FFL and pay him $20 to run a check for you. As long as it is voluntary on the seller's part, that's fine.

Gregg

Latest posts

Top Bottom