March Practical Rifle Match

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was looking over the rules, and it sounds pretty fun, but I have some questions as to what type of gear I will need. How many mags for the rifle and pistol, type of holster for pistol ect....

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't shot the match in several months now but the few that I shot required less than 20 pistol shots per stage and less than 30 rifle shots per stage. Its always good to have at least 2 if not 3 mags for a stafe as dave likes to do forced mag changes. This match has very loose requirements on holster type. I've seen everything from chest rigs and competition race holsters. What else?

You should also check out the rifle match at USSA on the 4th Sunday of the month.

HKP7M13

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings,
You do not need a lot of equipment to enjoy one of Dave's great matchs. I recomend 3 rifle mags, two loaded up and one kept empty for the down loaded mag stages. that way you do not have to unload a full mag. You can get by with two mags though. For the pistol most of the time one high cap, 13 or more, will run the pistol stage unless we go up against the "star" then I need a belt fed pistol. You do not need a chest rig I most of the time I will use the back pocket for a mag holder and that works fine. The main idea is safety first and have fun. Hope to see you at the next match.

John

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will most definatly try and get to a match in the near future, my buddy, cearven87, and I are thinking about hitting up the match at USSA. so I dont need any special mag pouches or anything, just the back pocket?

next make sure my rifle is good to go,

I have a DPMS LR-308, basically set up like an M4, pistol wise I have a Kel=Tec P11 and a RI 1911, would they all be fine to use?

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I reload so not too worried on ammo cost, speaking of which will they let you collect your brass? Not a huge deal but would be a plus. I watched a video with you in it on Boomer Shooter last night, Only thing I'm worried about is 2x taps with the 7.62 recoil ...

I have 5 mags for the rifle and 2 for each of my pistols so I think I'm good to go there. I would like to have a mag pouch, but I'll just try it out with out one for now.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I reload so not too worried on ammo cost, speaking of which will they let you collect your brass? Not a huge deal but would be a plus. I watched a video with you in it on Boomer Shooter last night, Only thing I'm worried about is 2x taps with the 7.62 recoil ...

I have 5 mags for the rifle and 2 for each of my pistols so I think I'm good to go there. I would like to have a mag pouch, but I'll just try it out with out one for now.

You will definately be slower with the .308 because of the recoil and 20 round mags. The .223 guys will run 40-48 round mags and not have to change during a course of fire unless forced to do so. In 3 gun the .308 rifle, .45 pistol, and pump shotgun have their own division called Heavy Metal or He Man. Shoot what you got, ask a bunch of questions, check out everyone elses guns and gear and see wht you think. I ahve changed my stuff alot over the past 18 months. I think I am close to being set on everything once I get my 2011 pistols.

Latest posts

Top Bottom