Maximum effective Range for .223

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ride Da Fire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard some people at work talking about shoot their ARs at 700+ yards, that was way out there for .223 rounds I thought and losing lot of energy. Since I don't know much about it so I asked and I was told that Fed .223 55gr can do 800 yards. Correct me if I'm wrong, I've read and learned some from google too :) Maximum affective range for .223 is 400yards right? If I shoot a 16" barrel 1:9 55gr Fed ammo will I be able to make a hole on a steel plate target at 500yards? If I can shoot that well..... just a question, I'm a dummy when come to LR shooting... but I'm all ears for ideas and suggestions.

(got these sources from some random websites)

Maximum effective range:
550 meters (Individual/point targets) 500 meters
800 meters (Area targets) 600 meters
3534 meters (Maximum range) 3600 meters

(M4) 3600M=3937yrd (max range)
(M16)3534M=3865yrd (max range)

(M4)800M=875yrd (area target)
(M16)600M=656yrd (area target)

(M4)550M=601yrd (Individual/point targets)
(M16)500M=547yrd (Individual/point targets)

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We regularly shoot M855 (62gr) to 600yds with iron sights. Wind is the biggest issue. It would be a huge issue with a 55gr bullet. You can reach 1k with your AR with the right bullet. 75 to 80gr bullets do it regularly. Define maximum range. You won't be killing animals at that range (i guess you could) but you can kill paper and steel all day long. Gonna be a bit tougher with a
16" barrel and you may only be able to make 800.

Ride Da Fire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We regularly shoot M855 (62gr) to 600yds with iron sights. Wind is the biggest issue. It would be a huge issue with a 55gr bullet. You can reach 1k with your AR with the right bullet. 75 to 80gr bullets do it regularly. Define maximum range. You won't be killing animals at that range (i guess you could) but you can kill paper and steel all day long. Gonna be a bit tougher with a
16" barrel and you may only be able to make 800.

I guess this is what some of the old vet mentioned when they told me about M16 story during vietnam war. I wouldn't stop the enemies at the range for sure.

I don't think my AR can shoot 80gr but I'll try 62gr @ 300 yards in Spring and see what I can do. I shot a friend's .270 at 100yards and his remington 700 .223 at 100yards before, couldn't tell any different.

Oh Are you going to have any LR class anytime soon? :)

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look on a 22 rimfire box what does it say about how far it will go? I doubt your going to punching any HOLES in steel but your gonna see the wash when the bullet hits :-) my LB was shooting his 223 out at Kens on the 426 plates and they wouldn't even move! nor could you hear the hits you had to watch thru the spotting scope to see a hit LOL these were the cheap varmint nightmare bullets we had from shooting p-dogs, the 75gr. A-Max you could hear the hit but not everytime.

I posted on another thread a link to where a guy built a 223 to shoot accuratly out to a mile and he did it, the story is over on LongRange Hunting website. It's just like anything else some people just don't like the word can't! is a 223 the best for shooting out to a mile? not really but hey you can do anything you put your mind too and can afford to do. Later,

Kirk

Latest posts

Top Bottom