Meet HEAD SHOT!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sweet rifle. How is this rifle capable of chambering the 45 Auto and the 45 AR? I'm familiar with revolvers that take 45AR or 45Auto with moon clips, I've seen autoloading rifles chambered in 45 Auto; but these are incapable of taking the 45AR.
Did you chamber this barrel yourself? How does it extract? It is late, maybe I'm just over-thinking this.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only difference between the 45 acp and the 45 Auto Rim is the rim.

Both cartridges are the same exact length and dimensions - with the exception of the 45 Auto Rim having a rim.

With revolvers that shoot the 45 acp with moon clips, the rim on the 45 Auto Rim takes their place and eliminates the need or use of moon clips.

Semi-auto rifles that shoot the 45 acp cannot shoot 45 Auto Rim cartridges because of the larger diameter of the rim.

Yes, I chambered this barrel myself, as well as built the rifle. This rifle extracts the case just the same as any other cartridge, and since it is a break open single shot, it can shoot any factory loaded 45 acp cartridge or my reloaded 45 Auto Rim cartridges interchangably.

The 45 Auto Rim and the 45 acp are reloaded with the same exact reloading dies, with the only difference being in the use of different shell holders.

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cartridges with a rim headspace and extract using different systems than cartridges without a rim. The 45 Automatic headspaces on the case mouth and extracts by being PULLED from the chamber. The 45 Auto Rim headspaces on the rim and extracts by being PUSHED out of the chamber by the rim.
The Maximum Case Length is the same for both cartridges so they could theoretically both headspace on the case mouth, but that would leave 0.041" difference between the forward portion of the 45 Auto Rim's rim and the 45 Automatic's rim, making extraction tricky for one or the other. Basically one of two options must be true:
1. It extracts the 45 Auto Rim reliably and leaves the 45 Automatic to be plucked out by hand, or
2. It extracts the 45 Auto Rim reliably and you made some custom "waxing crescent" moon clips that make each individual 45 Automatic cartridge effectively a single 45 Auto Rim, or
3. It extracts the 45 Automatic reliably (even more problems in a break-open action) and places great stress on the 45 Auto Rim case and the extractor.

These are the problems associated with a project such as this. I am not questioning you or your abilities. I am not trying to pick anything apart. I am curious and want to learn more about how you addressed these challenges.

My questions for you are:
1. Did you start with an H&R factory barrel?
2. Is your barrel chambered for the 45 Automatic in that it allows for headspacing on the case mouth?
3. Did you cut a recess in the barrel for the 45 Auto Rim to sit into?
4. Does your rifle reliably extract both cartridges or only the 45 Auto Rim?

Again, I am not questioning your work. I appreciate a good project and am just trying to learn more.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Referring only to the break open single shot rifles that I build, whether they be the T/C Contender, T/C Encore, H&R / NEF, Traditions or any other.

The 45 Auto Rim and the 45 acp headspace exactly the same, and they eject or extract exactly the same.

I set both cartridges to headspace off the case mouth, so either can be used interchangably. Reason being, you can go to most any sporting goods store, or even most Wal-Mart stores and buy factory 45 acp ammo, and it will chamber and headspace perfectly!

And if you reload and want something just a little bit different, then with a rim counterbore, you can use 45 AR brass.

1 - both case styles extract exactly the same with no difference whatsoever.

2 - this is a single shot not a revolver, and it requires NO "waxing crescent" moon clips!

3 - see point #1.

1 - the H&R barrel was a 270 Winchester barrel, and I built a new barrel around that one by barrel stubbing, which is a process I have used for over 30 years in making new barrels for the various break open single shot rifles and handguns.

2 - my barrel is chambered for both the 45 Auto Rim and the 45 acp, and both rounds can be used interchangably in this gun.

3 - see pictures below.

4 - as stated many times before - BOTH!

20191210_121143.jpeg

20191210_121313.jpeg

20191210_121233.jpeg

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got back from the range, with the following results.

20191212_161935-1.jpeg

20191212_161356-1.jpeg

20191212_161206-1.jpeg

20191212_161725-1.jpeg

20191212_162252-1.jpeg

Notice that there are "3" different bullets used, and the point of impact is not very far off between the three bullet types used.

Not making any excuses here, but I believe my groups would have been better if it were not for the wind and constant wind gusts.

A simple set up, like what I have used for over 30 years, a sand bag and a bi-pod.

20191212_131501-1.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom