Misinformation on open carry site?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
https://www.facebook.com/opencarryok
On the above site I found a link to the following article.
http://newsok.com/new-open-carry-la...rticle/3687570?custom_click=pod_lead_business

This is written in a Q and A format supposedly to help Oklahoma business with their questions and concerns with the new open carry laws. The following quote is from his article.

SB 1733 specifically prohibits carrying firearms on properties owned or leased by the city, state or federal government, at corrections facilities, in schools or college campuses, liquor stores and at sports arenas during sporting events.

I did a search for the author and found out that he is a practicing attorney in Oklahoma. Could someone point out to me where the new law specifically prohibits carrying firearms in liquor stores? In or on all properties owned or leased by city, state or federal government? These prohibitions were not in the old law.

Michael

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He is echoing the same misinformation that was sent out in Fallin's original press release. More than half of it is incorrect in one way or another.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Governor Fallin Signs ‘Open Carry’ Legislation into Law

OKLAHOMA CITY – Governor Mary Fallin today signed into law Senate Bill 1733, a measure that allows Oklahoma citizens to openly carry firearms. The bill permits those who are licensed, or already have been licensed, to carry a firearm under the Oklahoma Self Defense Act to openly carry a weapon or conceal it. It also allows property owners to openly carry a firearm on their property without a concealed carry permit for the purpose of self defense.

To receive a license under the Oklahoma Self Defense Act, applicants must take a firearms safety and training course and submit to a background check by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation. Those convicted of felonies and certain misdemeanors may not receive a handgun license.

With Governor Fallin’s signature on SB 1733, Oklahoma becomes the 25th state with either “permissive open carry” laws (no permit required) or “licensed open carry” (permit required). Oklahoma now joins Utah, North Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Indiana, Tennessee, Georgia, Mississippi, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Hawaii and Massachusetts as a “licensed open carry” state.

“As a strong supporter of the Second Amendment and a gun owner myself, I’m happy to sign this bill into law and grant law-abiding citizens the ability to openly carry firearms,” Fallin said. “Senate Bill 1733 sends a strong message that Oklahoma values the rights of its citizens to defend themselves, their family and their property. It does so in a responsible way, by requiring those citizens who choose to ‘open carry’ to undergo both firearms training and a background check.”

Businesses may continue to prohibit firearms to be carried on their premises. SB 1733 prohibits carrying firearms on properties owned or leased by the city, state or federal government, at corrections facilities, in schools or college campuses, liquor stores and at sports arenas during sporting events.

The bill was sponsored by Senator Anthony Sykes and Representative Jeff Hickman.

“I want to thank Senator Sykes and Representative Hickman, as well as the entire Legislature, for their commitment to protecting the Second Amendment rights of Oklahomans,” Fallin said.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is something that got lost in the edit.

If you go right to the horse's mouth... the difference between a "bar" and a "liquor store" are pretty well defined in the SDA.

You can enter a store... but you cannot enter a place that sells booze by the drink as it's primary purpose.

Rule of thumb... stay out area defined by the velvet ropes and area that the sign says "21 or older" in a resturant and your A-OK.

Maybe the editor was thinking NEW Mexico when he read the copy?

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just for clarification, the misinformation was courtesy of the Daily Oklahoman and their reporting staff. OKOCA only posted a link to the article as we do with all articles we find in regards to open carry.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just for clarification, the misinformation was courtesy of the Daily Oklahoman and their reporting staff. OKOCA only posted a link to the article as we do with all articles we find in regards to open carry.
Understood, thats why I put in the link to the Oklahoman for the full text.

I do apprecieate your efforts in spreading the word on open carry hrdware.

Michael

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Isn't it also only forbidden at sports arena during "professional" sporting events? And the law itself doesn't strictly prohibit college campus carry. It strictly leaves it up to pres of college right? I may be wrong please correct me if i am.

jsl_pt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes the liquor store rumor keeps spreading because the first press release from the gov had it wrong. I have heard literally every news station get it wrong, so much for checking facts from original sources. I carry EVERYTIME I go to the liquor store, most other places too, but refuse to go to liquor store unarmed. They have been known to draw some shady characters :). Liquor store by reasors at 71st in BA usually has coupons to the upcoming gun shows too! :)

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The worst of the information he was putting out was not the Liquor Store part. It was the part where he continued to spread the false information about not being able to carry on or in certain buildings or properties. Solely because they are owned or leased by a city, state or federal agencies. How could a lawyer get this wrong? Is he so sloppy in all his preparations regarding the law?

Michael

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Isn't it also only forbidden at sports arena during "professional" sporting events? And the law itself doesn't strictly prohibit college campus carry. It strictly leaves it up to pres of college right? I may be wrong please correct me if i am.

Yeah that's true, and the "in schools or college campuses" statement is misleading because guns in a locked vehicle on a college campus is legal as well.

buckeye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of the prohibitions on carrying are in place to appease those with weak constitutions and inveterate worrywarts, let them think whatever they need to enjoy their cozy false sense of security. All of us who do carry have studied the Act enough to know where it's illegal to carry - and to make the judgment whether it's advisable to abide.

Latest posts

Top Bottom