More garand questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robinray649

Marksman
Reaction score
I have a garand barrel with the following markings. I am trying to figure out what it means. The markings are

SA 6535448 11 64 Y63 P M

This followed by a small box with an eagle in it.

Op-rod with 7790722-RA
Op-rod with 6535362 IHC

Thanks for all the help.:urwelcome:

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The barrel markings are as follow:

Springfield Armory; Post-war Drawing Number for barrel; made 11-1964; heat lot; Proof marked (twice); and the box with eagle is the DAS acceptance stamp.

The op rods likewise have the seven-digit drawing number; the RA is Remington Arms, which made op rods for the Army. The second op rod was made for International Harvester. Both are post-war.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a follow up I have a garand stock. The only marking I can see is P on the bottom of the pistol grip. Any help is appreciated.

Pictures really would help, but for starters, is the "P" serifed like this: P or non-serifed like this: P? Is there a circle, or a square, around the P? Any markings in the barrel channel?

robinray649

Marksman
Reaction score
It looks like the non-serifed P and I don't see anything around it. On the bottom of the pistol grip there is a triangle with something in it but it is too faint to be able to read. Thanks

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It looks like the non-serifed P and I don't see anything around it. On the bottom of the pistol grip there is a triangle with something in it but it is too faint to be able to read. Thanks

That means the stock is either HRA or IHC, and the triangle is likely the ink stamp used by Letterkenny Army Depot (LEAD) during their rebuilds of M1 Garands. If there's nothing in the barrel channel, the stock is probably HRA unless the original P proof was obliterated and one of the arsenals, maybe LEAD, stamped the second P. In the latter case, the stock could be from any of the manufacturers, or even a replacement stock from Overton. Again, pictures would help :)

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A sans-serif P without anything around it is a typical arsenal re-proof and not indicative of HRA or IHC. It was likely applied as stated at Letterkenny at the time the orange triangle. Does the right front receiver leg bear any electro-pencil engraving? Typically those arsenals doing the rebuilds in the 60s marked the leg with their initials and the two digit month and year of the rebuild.

robinray649

Marksman
Reaction score
I looked the stock over again pretty closely and the only markings are the P and the small red triangle. From what I can find on the CMP it could be IHC or HRA. I can't seem to figure out how to put pictures on here but I can email them.

thanks for the help

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I looked the stock over again pretty closely and the only markings are the P and the small red triangle. From what I can find on the CMP it could be IHC or HRA. I can't seem to figure out how to put pictures on here but I can email them.

thanks for the help

Field-strip the M1, and look in the barrel channel of the stock. If there's an alphanumeric code stamped in the channel, it's likely an IHC stock. Look at the following picture though to see the differences between a stamped and inscribed code:

i126.photobucket.com_albums_p83_frodawwg_IHC_20stock_20SA_20dib85b3eb469c248d27cc7d6d41c2166d8.jpg

If there's no code, you can eliminate IHC as the stock maker. I'll PM you my email address again for the pics.