More messin' with the Mosin

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Paul, you shot great! More than happy to bring up the rear so you wouldn't embarrass yourself...

Wyatt M

Marksman
Reaction score
Mines very accurate using the Tula. Need to take it out and soot a few rounds.
Mine's more or less a non-milsurp-non-mosin at this point. ATI stock, pillar bedded, 2x7 Vortex and a Timney to replace the bobby pin spring I made for the previous trigger. It has a bore that looks like a sewer pipe and with all the modifications it STILL shoots minute of barn door with ANY factory ammo. I've had good luck at 100 yards with 174 gr Hornady's and 40.7 gr Varget, however. It's a fun challenge to try to make it accurate.

Attachments

• 20180304_115050.jpg
    20180304_115050.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 135

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The bore on mine is dark, and lightly pitted. The rifling is strong, however.

The biggest problem for me is the trigger. The thing is 47 miles long. I start pulling, get tired, go for coffee, pull some more, hook a chain to it, attach a winch, pull some more, BANG !
I would put a Timney trigger on it, but for 2 things.
1) it's against the rules for the match.
2) the trigger costs more than the rifle.

One of the things I discovered at my very first match last Saturday was this; If one can't keep all 50 rounds inside the 9-ring (a 4" circle) at 100 yds, one won't even score in the middle of the pack.
Another discovery; A stock Mosin, with factory Mosin sights, will never be able to go head to head with anything with stock peep sights. At least not with me shooting the Mosin.

If it hadn't been for Darren bringing the wrong box of ammo, and basically throwing rocks at the target for 50 rounds, I would have been dead last.

I have a lot of work to do. My 5" groups aren't going to do it, unless everyone else comes down with Mad Cow Disease and starts hallucinating one week.

I did enjoy the outing. I'll be back.