Mountain Lion captured in North Tulsa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarhead983

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As mentioned before, we do have mountain lions in OK. And as far as I know, have always had them. The chances of seeing them is very remote. My only live spotting was near Depew in 1982, and I have been hunting and trapping since I was 6yo with my dad, over 40yrs ago. I'm not sure what a small or large population entails, but I would bet it's more than most would think. We had a confirmed mountain lion at the Westside YMCA 5 yrs ago. In case you don't know where that is, its at the junction of I-44 and Hwy 75 about a 1/2 mile from the Arkansas river here in Tulsa. The then current OK Trapper Assoc President, a coworker, had been helping the animal control here in Tulsa on trapping Beaver and Coyotes, so he was called when the report came in. We went and found tracks. A game camera confirmed that a mountain lion was visiting the Y every 6 to 9 days. Never caught and as far as I know still there. We managed to keep it out of the news as a favor to the ODWC. They at that time had a no confirmation policy and were doing everything possible from admitting that there were mountain lions in OK. This was due to the mountains of paperwork and studies that the anti's would demand. It was the legislative that added the mountain lions to the same bill as the bear and otter seasons that were opened at that time. The wildlife dept. was not particulaly happy about the addition of the mountain lion. They continue to downplay the numbers.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
you never know whats in the woods. 30 years ago the wildlife dept. said there was no bears around Tulsa.
but one of the guys I worked with hit one with his truck on his way to work one day.
near kellyville. 1980-81

A 70 puond mountain lion is normally a 1 year old.
if it turns out to be several years old then it was somebody's pet they didn't feed very well.
I shot a 77 lb one when I lived in Colo. and it still had its kitten spots barely visable on its back.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to have a cougar as a pet but I can't afford the adoption fee nor the upkeep. :anyone:

aimg.ezinemark.com_imagemanager2_files_30002496_2011_01_2011_023bf85cc7b969c7391c464962e518cc3.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom