Moving a safe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got an Armstrong 3/4" breaker bar you won't snap along with a 6 point impact socket you won't break or strip.
With some heat above 300 degrees like mentioned before something is going to happen. The bolt will snap or it will come out. The tools won't be damaged.

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The fiber board (?) inside the safe can be replaced with sheetrock. Often that's what is used in safes that list a fire rating.
As for using an impact wrench, even the best one will be limited by the air supply PSI and that's limited the size of the air line connected to it. I would be happy to loan you a 1250 ft lb impact wrench and 50 ft 3/8" air hose if you want to try it.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The fiber board (?) inside the safe can be replaced with sheetrock. Often that's what is used in safes that list a fire rating.
As for using an impact wrench, even the best one will be limited by the air supply PSI and that's limited the size of the air line connected to it. I would be happy to loan you a 1250 ft lb impact wrench and 50 ft 3/8" air hose if you want to try it.
And be sure somebody didn't turn down your regulator to run a finish nailer. Also, be sure the "power" knob is turned all the way up on your impact. One of my cheaper impacts I've noticed the forward/reverse button slides just a little as you're using it so it doesn't hit at full power. Gotta hold it in place when I use that one.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would be happy to loan you a 1250 ft lb impact wrench and 50 ft 3/8" air hose if you want to try it.
No offense, but 3/8" is too small to get proper air volume for that much torque.

Places around here that do truck & heavy equipment tires use a 1" hose on their 1" drive impacts. I bought 1/2" hoses for my shop to use on my 1/2" drive (CP) impacts, because at 50ft you can tell a difference.
:drunk2:

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No offense taken and appreciate hearing about your setup Mac. I once tried to remove a balancer bolt from a car motor using the 'squiggly' hose on my compressor (2 stage) and it wouldn't budge. Switched to 3/8" hose and it came right off. I want to stick with the quick connect fttgs here but will look to see what they have at Steve's Whlsle next time I go in. I believe I saw a larger quick connect system once. Might be time to up the old game...Thanks

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t want to be “that guy” but what kind of socket and impact did you use on it ? I’m a mechanic by trade and I’ve found out the expensive way that name brand tools will outwork the harbor freight stuff

Very true. My son had a SK 1/2" drive impact that was just a freaking beast and very light. You could break stuff with it. My old (and very heavy) chinese import wasn't anywhere near that thing, in comparison it wasn't even "hobby grade". Even the 1/4" battery powered ones from Milwaukee, Dewalt, etc. are impressive these days.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very true. My son had a SK 1/2" drive impact that was just a freaking beast and very light. You could break stuff with it. My old (and very heavy) chinese import wasn't anywhere near that thing, in comparison it wasn't even "hobby grade". Even the 1/4" battery powered ones from Milwaukee, Dewalt, etc. are impressive these days.
+1 on the battery impact guns. I just bought a 1/2" drive Milwaukee M18 that has 1400 ft-lb of torque. I'm not sure it's not more powerful than my CP 1/2" pneumatic with however big air hose you want to hook it to. I will admit cranking up the air pressure to over 175 psi on the CP for really big nuts using a 3/4" adaptor though. It's a beast at that pressure when it's designed for 90 psi operation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom