Moving, will my CC license be worthless?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GUZ371

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have had my OK CC for a little bit, but now I am moving to Idaho. (Military PCS) I use to live in Virginia (Home of Record) and since I moved here to OK, I have changed my license and state of residency. I will be changing my license/state of residency to ID. Since I will have no connection to OK will my license be useless?

An idea that popped in my head is to get a license where I have somewhat of a permanent residency, VA, my address will never change in VA. So now, for those of are in the Military... how do I go about getting a CC in Virginia? Do I need to change my license back to VA.

**I switched to OK because VA taxes are horrible.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First, you do not "change your carry license." You can have several, based on the laws of the states that issue them. (NOT like a driver's license).
VA issues carry licenses to both residents and non-residents; I had one for several years. You can do the necessary paperwork by mail. That's an obvious license for you to get, with your ties to VA.
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_NonresidentConcealed.shtm

Secondly, OK law on non-resident licenses is very clear: there aren't any. Either you become an OK resident with an OK driver's license or you are active military with PCS orders to OK; otherwise you are ineligible to hold an OK carry license. The day you sign in PCS to ID your OK carry license is invalid, and you are required to both notify OSBI of your residence change and to return the carry license. The alternative is do all the paperwork to become a permanent OK resident, including HOR, driver's license, and income tax.
Having put in 27 military years myself, I advise active duty people to get a carry license from a state that has both resident and non-resident licenses, so they can still legally carry when they PCS out of a state like OK or KY, whose licenses become invalid as soon as you are no longer a resident or assigned there.

By the way, one individual ignored this advice on a move to Kansas, and was arrested for carrying with a Kansas address and an (invalid) OK carry license. His logic was "the date on my OK carry license has not expired." Did not work and he was found guilty.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I know my advice to him above may meet the letter of the law and not necessarily the intent, it is still valid. Shady but valid. If he sets up his HOR in OK he is a resident of the state of OK regardless of number of PCS moves. I PCS'd to AZ for 2 years as part of the OK-ARNG, my PCS orders allowed me to maintain my vehicle registration (No front plate), tax rate (OK doesn't tax military income) and CCW license (No fee for new CCW). I have numerous friends on AD that have done the same.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I know my advice to him above may meet the letter of the law and not necessarily the intent, it is still valid. Shady but valid. If he sets up his HOR in OK he is a resident of the state of OK regardless of number of PCS moves. I PCS'd to AZ for 2 years as part of the OK-ARNG, my PCS orders allowed me to maintain my vehicle registration (No front plate), tax rate (OK doesn't tax military income) and CCW license (No fee for new CCW). I have numerous friends on AD that have done the same.

If you change everything, including filing an OK income tax return, there is nothing shady about it. However, just changing the HOR won't do it if he gets caught. An obvious no-no would be getting an ID driver's license and trying to use an OK carry license. That's what the guy in Kansas tried, and OK will answer "the carry license is invalid" without OK driver's license.

The person shall be required to have possession of his or her valid handgun license and a valid Oklahoma driver license or an Oklahoma State photo identification at all times when in possession of an authorized pistol.
TITLE 21 § 1290.9 ELIGIBILITY
The following requirements shall apply to any person making application to the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation for a handgun license pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act. The person must:
1. Be a citizen of the United States;
2. Establish a residency in the State of Oklahoma. For purposes of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, the term residency shall apply to any person who either possesses a valid Oklahoma driver license or state photo identification card, and physically maintains a residence in this state or has permanent military orders within this state and possesses a valid driver license from another state where such person claims residency;
http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2012.pdf

From the OP:
I will be changing my license/state of residency to ID.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will be changing my license/state of residency to ID

To stick with the OPs parameters. Yes, if you get an Idaho license and change your residency, your Oklahoma permit will no longer be valid.

Oklahoma's permit isn't the best one to get as far as reciprocity and retention anyway, so jumping through hoops to maintain residency in OK just to keep the permit is pretty pointless (unless you see yourself coming back here someday).

Find a state that issues non-resident permits and has good reciprocity....

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pennsylvania has great reciprocity and is way easier to get than OK's. I sort of didn't understand that myself.

PA doesn't require a front plate either and is a "shall issue" state.

Latest posts

Top Bottom