My First 1911... Gold Cup National Match

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yup.. it's a two piece guide rod.... reasons are stacking up in favor of replacing with a GI guide.

If it's a 2 piece guide rod and if you care about reliability then you should remove it. They can and will work their way loose. IF it's a range gun then no worries. :D

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thanks... if I just find some .45 ammo to shoot my new (to me) 1911.
been calling all the walmarts with zero luck.

may have to stoop to buying $1 per round ammo just to try this out.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
just got back from OPS... what super nice folks!
very_knowledgeable and helpful.

Eric tore into my 1911, installed a new return spring, adjusted my leaf springs and lubed with mobil 1 oil.

now my 1911 feels great! clip now releases properly, trigger is much improved, overall much smoother.

OPS definitely has been the best customer experience in Tulsa so far.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OPS set me up with a Wilson clip and 200 rounds of .45 too.

all set to head out to sand springs gun range. but with temps headed for 97 degrees. waiting until it cools down a bit.

DC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
just got back from OPS... what super nice folks!
very_knowledgeable and helpful.

Eric tore into my 1911, installed a new return spring, adjusted my leaf springs and lubed with mobil 1 oil.

now my 1911 feels great! clip now releases properly, trigger is much improved, overall much smoother.

OPS definitely has been the best customer experience in Tulsa so far.

He works on cars too? Hooda guessed......lol

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
no but he bailed me out again today... after he sent me home with one sweet running 1911. of course I had to take it apart, including sear, etc..

had a devil of a time figuring out how to get it back together correctly. finally got it all put back to. a horrible grinding noise when hammer was cocked. took it apart again, checked everything.... the grinding noise just wouldn't leave. though I put it together wrong.

caught Eric at opening time... he graciously tore into my 1911 and verified everything was put together correct and showed me the correct method to reassemble.

the grinding noise wouldn't go away. 1911 would cycle fine, with noise only evident when disassembled.

got home ... tore 1911 apart yet again... managed to isolate grinding noise to hammer spring follower, which was galled badly. started to put it all back together... but spring follower went flying... arrrgggghhh

managed to find a spare spring follower... filed/sand rough spots, then reassemble.... finally 1911 is working correctly!

and I've still not shot it yet... did get two more Wilson clips todays.

[Broken External Image]

He works on cars too? Hooda guessed......lol

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
finally had a chance to shoot this sweet 1911... man does this shoot good!

super accurate... way more accurate than me. but I'm learning quick.

have torn this 1911 down and put it back together 200+ times in the last few days. starting to get a feel for how this 1911 works.

took a few pic's of the total teardown and deep cleaning. probably should start another thread...

Latest posts

Top Bottom