My first ever range visit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CybrSlydr

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I posted these pics and story in the "Out of Stater's" thread, but thought I'd repost the pics in the appropriate forum. :)

This was the first time I've ever shot a gun. Rented a SIG 226 9mm using 115gr Blazer FMJ.

This first target, the range guy told me to aim at the middle - and my first shot was the one in the top right of the orange bullseye. I then put the other 14 on target. He then told me to aim for the #9 above the bullseye and I managed to do pretty darn good on that one too. He was very surprised at my groupings for being a first time shooter. I believe distance was 20ft.

afarm5.static.flickr.com_4054_4269860869_be8e9ebd6e.jpg

I then put this target over top of it and was much less successful than the other one. Granted, there are 3 in the center ring (that I covered up with the black stickers), but not as consistent as my other one. My glasses were starting to fog up and my arms were getting fatigued from the death grip I had on the gun. I believe these were from 25ft.

afarm5.static.flickr.com_4044_4269861493_ec5912da94.jpg

I then tried this target from 35ft. Don't ask me how I managed to put them together like that and do the stagger - it was all just luck. lol Again, another 4 in bullseye, the others in odd pattern. lol

afarm3.static.flickr.com_2721_4269860429_11bd44075a.jpg

CybrSlydr

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I then finished out with this target at 30ft. Pretty straightforward.

afarm3.static.flickr.com_2758_4270605060_8cfcf79ab1.jpg

All in all a really, really fun visit. I hadn't counted on it costing as much as it did. Total of $88.63. Total breakdown is...

Range Fee - $21.95 unlimited (only option)
12"x18" target - $1.87
8" round target - $.75
CCI Blazer 9mm 115 FMJ box of 50 - $13.99
SIG 226 9mm Serial U872371 - $9.95
First Time Coaching/Teaching - $35.00 (this was optional, but I bought it just so I wouldn't kill myself or someone because I had no clue what I was doing)
Eye/Ear protection rental - $4
Sales Tax - $1.12

jgarrett2k

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That looks great for your first time. Last week was my first time at the range. I noticed that i was more accurate a friends gun than with my own. I look forward to getting more practice though.

CybrSlydr

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys. :)

I'm going to buy my own eye/ear protection, so that's $4 I'll save. I won't need the instruction, so that's another $35 I'll save, plus I'll eventually have my own gun, so that's another $9.95 I'll save.

So, that's almost half the charge I'll save and can spend on ammo - even less if I bring my own.

Also - they run a membership...

Member Benefits Include the Following:

* Members Shoot Free Monday through Friday.*
* Newsletters
* Express Sign In
* Bring one guest for free**
* FREE use of eye and ear protection
* Discounts on Range Ammo
* “Member Only” discounts
* Discount on use of Full Auto Firearms
* Only Members may shoot their own full auto firearms
* Discount range rate of $10.95, saving you $11 per visit.
* Members have first choice of range guns, when removed for
sale.

* Excludes Holidays that fall on a Monday.
** Limited to one guest per visit.

Children under 18 shoot for free when accompanied by parent
Membership Fees:

* Individual $179.95 per year*
* Family $50.00 per extra person**
* Police $129.95 per year*
* Military (Active/Reserve/National Guard) – $129.95 per year*

* Plus a one time $25 initiation fee.
** Must be immediate family member living in same household.

Latest posts

Top Bottom