My first match

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjamin-benjamin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
ok sounds like you have enough equipment... couple of things
1. don't get intimidated by the stud shooters out there
2. DO A WALK THROUGH before the match, otherwise you will mess up (i do at least 2)
3. when moving, slow down to be sure you don't break 180 and finger is off of trigger
4. ask a ton of questions, people will want to help..

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
M&P 9mm with 4 mags.

With 4 mags and this being your first time out, you'll want to shoot in the Limited division with minor scoring (since it is a 9mm). You can load the mags to capacity and will need much fewer reloads. Don't let them talk you into signing up for Production, yet, unless you can borrow 2 more mags. Limited minor will allow you to have more fun with your first match.

Once you get the bug and become concerned with being competitive then Production division will be the logical choice. You only get to load 10 rounds maximum in each magazine in Production. So people carry lots of mags and reload often. It can be done with 4 mags, but 6 are much better in my experience. I have 1 in the pistol, 4 on the belt, and an emergency spare in a back pocket. A 5th mag on the belt is fairly common.

You don't have to completely empty the mag before reloading. Carrying extra mags gives you more options for where and when it would be best to reload. Don't sweat the tactics and strategy at this point, just be safe and have fun.

With stock M&P mags, you'll want a bit of space between each mag holder. M&P mags have a baseplate that sticks out to the front. With the mag holders spaced closely, it is very easy to grab one mag and have it catch that lip and lift out the mag behind it. You may not even know it's gone until you need it. That's when a spare mag in a back pocket is very handy. The solution is to replace the stock baseplates with ones for M&P 9mm compact mags. It's legal and many do it.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips and advice. I had an absolute blast! I will definitely be doing it again. This is all I need, another addiction.

BoomerShooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep at it - it was my 4th match and I am totally addicted.....

You couldn't have asked for a better day to shoot - my first match - was over 100* and we were there till about 4:45

Latest posts

Top Bottom