My Gripe - Hollywood honchos want Gone with the Wind

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It sure seems like the Hollywood bunch wants to make some l-o-o-o-o-n-g a$$ movies these days. They seem to think everything should be as drawn out as Gone with the Wind.
News flash for you Scarlett, if it takes that long to see your film then frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

Case in point, the movie The Irishman (based on the book I Heard You Paint Houses). The book and movie are supposed to be the real story of who killed union leader Jimmy Hoffa back in 1975 (the body is still missing).
This film is getting a "limited" release in a handful of theaters so it will qualify for the Oscars. The damn movie is 3 hours and 30 minutes long.

And I was kind of looking forward to the remake of the story of the World War II battle of Midway. That movie (called Midway) is supposed to come out in the next week or so and it's 2 hours and 18 minutes long, according to what I saw on the internet.
Maybe it's a good film but that's stretching the limit of what I consider one movie.

That's my gripe for today. Good luck and good night.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I watched gone with the wind. Thirty minutes of watching a camel's butt walking across a desert was part of it for the full version. I think they cut that part out in the later versions.
Midway looks like a movie with cartoon animation. I don't care for that, but I haven't been to a movie theater since Ghost, so I'll wait to see it on Netflix or something.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I watched gone with the wind. Thirty minutes of watching a camel's butt walking across a desert was part of it for the full version. I think they cut that part out in the later versions.
I don't remember camels, but Sweetie and I watched the newly (at that time) "colorized" version on TV many years ago.

IIRC, it was 3 hours long and more/less exciting than watching paint dry.

Maybe I slept through the camels... :drunk2:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't remember camels, but Sweetie and I watched the newly (at that time) "colorized" version on TV many years ago.

IIRC, it was 3 hours long and more/less exciting than watching paint dry.

Maybe I slept through the camels... :drunk2:
It was on 16mm movies when I was stationed overseas. Why that is listed as a great movie, I have no clue. It was boring, but it was spoken in a british accent, so I'm sure that's why it got rewards.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was on 16mm movies when I was stationed overseas. Why that is listed as a great movie, I have no clue. It was boring, but it was spoken in a british accent, so I'm sure that's why it got rewards.
It sounds like you're thinking of Lawrence of Arabia. I don't think there was much British being spoken in the film adaptation of Margaret Mitchell's Civil War epic...

Latest posts

Top Bottom