My new toy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey, I like it. You breathed new life into something that was a chop job anyway, so good for you. Yeah, the old war horses are classic and worth keeping as is, but lots and lots of them were "changed" years and years ago. A good solid job of sporterizing one is kind of a classic too. Lots of good ones were done the right way many, many years ago when it was the thing to do. The Springfield action is a wonderful action. It has its little issues, but its beautiful none the less.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hear ya guys. But no matter how you turn it, the worst "all there" 03a3 is worth more than the best done sporter.

Weeeeel, not literally. There are sporterized milsurps of several derivations which bring a few thousand dollars, and there are a few old 03s that you can still get for a few hundred. I saw a sporter at the Tulsa show a few years ago that had been engraved, inlaid with gold, and had perhaps the nicest walnut stock I have ever seen on a rifle. I was briefly tempted, then developed a case of sticker shock when I saw the price. I think it was about 4 grand. I believe it was a Mauser, but there are some equally nice 03conversions around.

That said, converting a milsurp is no longer the thing to do from an economic standpoint unless you are striving for some specific custom objective. I have several converted Mausers, and could have bought factory guns in the same calibers for considerably less, though these are nicer than the typical factory offering.

Like someone already said, it gets down to what the owner wants to do with his rifle. CB

OKMike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I suspect this gun was sporterized back in the day, it was from an estate. There were several nice older guns. The guys wife was disposing of his collection. There is a well cared for but worn Mod 99 243 lever that has my attention as well. Also a sporterized Krag. Judging from the other guns in the collection he was an old timer that acquired his guns years ago. I didn't chop up this gun but intend to fully enjoy it as is.

Latest posts

Top Bottom