Need A Part Made - Lathe Work - Anybody Able To Help?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can make it per the above instructions if that is what you want. If my math is correct the wall thickness won't even be but .118". That doesn't give you much meat to thread. If it doesn't hurt to increase the OD, I would for more threads. It's up to you.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can make it per the above instructions if that is what you want. If my math is correct the wall thickness won't even be but .118". That doesn't give you much meat to thread. If it doesn't hurt to increase the OD, I would for more threads. It's up to you.
The male end is really the only thing that needs to be 14mm. The female side fitting over the motor arbor will need the holes and the set screw holes, which on an 8mm arbor with a 14mm female going over it would give about 3mm of meat for the set screw threads if I'm seeing it in my head correctly. Would that be enough or would you recommend going thicker? I'm fine either way, as long as the ID on the female end is 8mm and the OD on the male end is 14mm, both sides being 22-25mm long respectively..

I was planning on drawing up something very professional looking, but if you would accept a hand drawing with measurements written in, I can get that to you much more quickly.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a little tip.

When making a sketch or print to have someone make some part for you.

Do your dimensions in good old american inches.

Chances are the majority of Tool & Die Makers and Machinist can make anything with either metric or english measurements.

But most of us will convert to thousands of the inch, well because most if not all our of our measuring tools are for inch reading (thousands).

And all this equipment we use with out a digital read out will be set in thousands of the inch too.

This will save us a little time, and might save you some money if paying!

Quick fact for those that do not know.
25.4 millimeters in a inch
And
Each millimeter is .03937 inch.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a little tip.

When making a sketch or print to have someone make some part for you.

Do your dimensions in good old american inches.

Chances are the majority of Tool & Die Makers and Machinist can make anything with either metric or english measurements.

But most of us will convert to thousands of the inch, well because most if not all our of our measuring tools are for inch reading (thousands).

And all this equipment we use with out a digital read out will be set in thousands of the inch too.

This will save us a little time, and might save you some money if paying!

Quick fact for those that do not know.
25.4 millimeters in a inch
And
Each millimeter is .03937 inch.
I sent him the dimensions in inches.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@Profreedomokie Just PM'd you with a drawing with specs. If you'd rather not try and decode my poor penmanship (shaky hands - haven't eaten yet today), I'll draw it up in CAD and send you a proper document.
Not eaten today? You are on probation from the okc metro fat man shooting and horography team.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And if feasable, give the person doing the work the mating parts.

Which reminds me of a time a friend at a place I worked brought in a pully that needed the bore opened up.

He showed me a shaft of a motor on the maintenance shelf, and said I need this pully to fit this shaft.

He went up to the lunch room to grab a coffee, and when he came back, I looked at him funny and said, that pulley fits that shaft just fine and handed the pulley to him.

He walked back over to the motor on the shelf and tried it, and it slid on like it was made for it.

I let him stand there for a while looking all puzzled before I told him I bored it out while he was grabbing that coffee! 😁

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My thanks to @Profreedomokie. The adapter worked like a charm.

IMG_3906.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom