Need an education on 9mm reloading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Quick question, what's the consensus on decapping before cleaning? With my long range rifle rounds, I always decap as my first step, then tumble, case prep, etc. I do this for many reasons, mainly to have an opportunity to clean the primer pockets and to ensure that my sizing die never sees any dirty brass. On run of the mill range ammo, I've been seeing a lot of people online say they really don't decap before they clean the rounds. They only remove the spent primer during the FL sizing die while reloading. What's everyone's thoughts on this?

Ditto. I decap as the first step.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One additional question. What are your opinions on using magnum primers in 9mm? I watched a video from David at Precision Bullets saying he recommends the magnum primers with his bullets. On the other side of the coin, I read a few opinions and 1 article online talking about wearing out the breach face when using magnum primers in 9mm. This obviously will coincide with the power load being used, and possibly slightly reducing the powder charge if you'd want to run magnum primers. If anyone has any experience with this, I'd very much appreciate your thoughts. I only say this because I have a 1000 brick of small pistol magnum primers, but don't know if I can apply them to my 9mm loads. I feels like I'm going to rip the space-time continuum if I use them in some 9's! I'm leaning on the side of NO, but if there is a way to do it safely I'd be interested in learning. If it wasn't for David at PB's video, I would've never considered it. David just says that he's sees his best test results from magnum primers. That's very specific to each individuals gun and load, and may not work for me. I'm really after any info that would give me the knowledge to build safe loads with magnum primers and work my way up if need be.

Video from PB regarding primers (start at 2:38)

Last edited:

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As Mad Professor said the Redding dies are definitely top tier. The also have the regular Pro Series which is basically the same set he describes without the micrometer seating die. The are a fair bit cheaper or used to be.

That micrometer seating die is really nice if you change bullet styles a lot. You can record your setting for each bullet OAL and dial right to it when changing over. I just bought the regular Pro Series and have a dummy made up to get close.

They also have a micrometer adjustable taper crimp die. Now that's one I wish I had!

Another good thing about the competition dies is the sliding guide to keep the bullet straight. This helps quite a bit when trying to feed shorter bullets without pinching your fingers. Helps with a bullet-fed, auto-driven progressive very much.

IMG_2532.jpg

Last edited:

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t deprime before cleaning on pistol, never used magnum primers on pistol. When I run low on spp I back my charge off some and break into my srp stash.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One additional question. What are your opinions on using magnum primers in 9mm? I watched a video from David at Precision Bullets saying he recommends the magnum primers with his bullets. On the other side of the coin, I read a few opinions and 1 article online talking about wearing out the breach face when using magnum primers in 9mm. This obviously will coincide with the power load being used, and possibly slightly reducing the powder charge if you'd want to run magnum primers. If anyone has any experience with this, I'd very much appreciate your thoughts. I only say this because I have a 1000 brick of small pistol magnum primers, but don't know if I can apply them to my 9mm loads. I feels like I'm going to rip the space-time continuum if I use them in some 9's! I'm leaning on the side of NO, but if there is a way to do it safely I'd be interested in learning. If it wasn't for David at PB's video, I would've never considered it. David just says that he's sees his best test results from magnum primers. That's very specific to each individuals gun and load, and may not work for me. I'm really after any info that would give me the knowledge to build safe loads with magnum primers and work my way up if need be.

Video from PB regarding primers (start at 2:38)

I’m sure you can use magnum primers, just start at a reduced powder load and work up, chronograph and watch for pressure signs.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't run mp in any 9mm yet. I read a lot about it for 38spc though and the consensus I found is that they don't burn hotter they burn longer. Also some like Remington have a harder cup. For example Remy says use a 5-1/2 for .40 to get the harder cup vs 1-1/2s. I have seen lots of guys talk about using magnum in cold weather on very light loads for a more consistent ignition. I am sure with some googling you can find guys who run them in 9mm mp only.

I never run anything in a die till its been tumbled. After tumbling then I run everything through a LEE app normally for de-priming. Then final inspection before loading or swaging if necessary.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another good thing about the competition dies is the sliding guide to keep the bullet strait. This helps quite a bit when trying to feed shorter bullets without pinching your fingers. Helps with a bullet-fed, auto-driven progressive very much.

View attachment 167450
I learned my lesson when I began my rifle reloads, and now appreciate the value of a good seating die with a micrometer adjustment. They're worth the cost.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One additional question. What are your opinions on using magnum primers in 9mm? I watched a video from David at Precision Bullets saying he recommends the magnum primers with his bullets. On the other side of the coin, I read a few opinions and 1 article online talking about wearing out the breach face when using magnum primers in 9mm. This obviously will coincide with the power load being used, and possibly slightly reducing the powder charge if you'd want to run magnum primers. If anyone has any experience with this, I'd very much appreciate your thoughts. I only say this because I have a 1000 brick of small pistol magnum primers, but don't know if I can apply them to my 9mm loads.

I have tested magnum vs standard primers in a couple of MY loads with very little discernible difference. The velocity didn’t hardly change. But the SD did go up. There may be a difference in YOUR loads.

Different powders might react differently, but it absurd to think a magnum primer in a pistol round by itself will damage a breach face. Maybe if the round is over pressure, but I’ve seen plenty of ruptured cases in pistol with no damage to the breach face.

If your loads are well under max, you “should” be fine. It would be best to back off slightly when testing. I didn’t, but it would be best.

I also and skeptical of David across the board recommending magnum primers with his bullets.

My testing was only with TiteGroup and N320. Your mileage may vary.

FWIW, I’m getting ready to switch over to Magnum SPP in my new primary load and test. I have 2-3X Magnum SPP vs Standard SPP. Hopefully it works the same in Sport Pistol as it did in TG. But I can still go back to TG if needed.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have tested magnum vs standard primers in a couple of MY loads with very little discernible difference. The velocity didn’t hardly change. But the SD did go up. There may be a difference in YOUR loads.

Different powders might react differently, but it absurd to think a magnum primer in a pistol round by itself will damage a breach face. Maybe if the round is over pressure, but I’ve seen plenty of ruptured cases in pistol with no damage to the breach face.

If your loads are well under max, you “should” be fine. It would be best to back off slightly when testing. I didn’t, but it would be best.

I also and skeptical of David across the board recommending magnum primers with his bullets.

My testing was only with TiteGroup and N320. Your mileage may vary.

FWIW, I’m getting ready to switch over to Magnum SPP in my new primary load and test. I have 2-3X Magnum SPP vs Standard SPP. Hopefully it works the same in Sport Pistol as it did in TG. But I can still go back to TG if needed.
Thanks a bunch. I'll be testing it on Sport Pistol as well, along with CFE. I'd be interested to hear your results. Once the powder comes in from Reloading Unlimited, I'll put some test rounds together, chrono, and post the results.

Latest posts

Top Bottom