Need help AK guys/gals.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry for my ignorance but I've always been an AR guy. Recently I acquired a very nice Polytech AK. I know when I shot Wolf ammo through the AR, it was DIRTY. 100 rds looked like 500 rds of blanks. It was that nasty. So to the question.....Since the AK is piston driven, will the cheap Wolf, Tula, Brown Bear, ammo gum it up like it does with the AR? Thanks for your help.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All I shoot is Tula through my AK and I haven't had any problems with it. AKs aren't as picky about eating steel cased ammo as an AR is.

1S1K

You probably don't need to but I clean the barrel and chamber after a few outings which is very easy to do. I have a friend that said he has not cleaned his ak for about 2k rounds in 6 month period with no issues. I just like to clean the barrel on all my firearms before I store it.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always clean the gas tube and barrel after shooting surplus ammo. YOu can get away with never cleaning it, but one thing to consider is that surplus ammo is corrosive. Even when it says it's "non-corrosive" you really can't count on that depending on the manufacturer. Also, caked up carbon and powder can also soak up moisture and over time will cause rust. Gas tubes are usually the first place rust will appear over time. Chrome lined barrels can rust if left alone with moisture for long periods of time. Will the rust affect the reliability? Most likely no. AK's will keep chugging, however, if you want to keep your AK's in good shape without pitting and rust, it's good to clean them often.

If you have a Yugo with a non-chrome lined barrel, besure to clean out the barrel thoroughly. I've seen yugo barrels that have been "cleaned" after shooting only to look like sewer pipes after a few weeks despite being cleaned and lubed.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I always clean the gas tube and barrel after shooting surplus ammo. YOu can get away with never cleaning it, but one thing to consider is that surplus ammo is corrosive. Even when it says it's "non-corrosive" you really can't count on that depending on the manufacturer. Also, caked up carbon and powder can also soak up moisture and over time will cause rust. Gas tubes are usually the first place rust will appear over time. Chrome lined barrels can rust if left alone with moisture for long periods of time. Will the rust affect the reliability? Most likely no. AK's will keep chugging, however, if you want to keep your AK's in good shape without pitting and rust, it's good to clean them often.

If you have a Yugo with a non-chrome lined barrel, besure to clean out the barrel thoroughly. I've seen yugo barrels that have been "cleaned" after shooting only to look like sewer pipes after a few weeks despite being cleaned and lubed.

Brown Bear, Silver Bear, Wolf, Tula etc.are not corrosive,I know of no 7.62X39 that has been imported in the last 10-15 years that is corrosive.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most will say non corrosive, but are actually very mildly corrosive. Most people just don't notice because they're so mild and with chrome lined barrels and gas blocks it's pretty much "non-corrosive" for most purposes. I've seen a recent batch of "non-corrosive" Tula absolutely turn Yugo M70 with a non chrome lined barrel into a sewer pipe in 2 weeks. The bore was rusted out and chunky with rust and so was the gas block and gas tube. Even the tip of the piston has signs of corrosion. Another friend shooting the same stuff through his converted Saiga had signs of rust in his gas tube. His bore and gas block didn't seem to be affected since his barrel and gas block was chrome lined.

I recently had to spend about 3 hours cleaning my very own Yugo M70AB2 underfolder. I had shot some Russian Uly 7.62x39 that was marked as non-corrosive. I didn't rinse the bore down with hot water like I usually do when shooting corrosive Yugo ammo to get out all of the salts. Since this was non-corrosive, usually a good scrubbing with Hoppes is enough followed by lube. Well, 6 weeks later, I was greeted to a nearly clogged and rusted bore. I got the bore back to a mirror shine and didn't see any major pitting.

I've learned to not trust anything that's marked 7.62 or 5.45 with the words "non-corrosive."

revo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom