Need help on choosing 30-30 hunting ammo for my Marlin 336

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim003

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently picked up the Marlin 336 from a member here, I believed it made in 1982 and it has the JM mark on the barrel. I already installed a scope and need to go sight it in.

I am planning to use this rifle for deer hunting, and planning to shoot it at no more than 150 yards. I didn’t know there are quite a few of ammo options out there for 30-30, so please let me know what is your favorite choice of 30-30 ammo? I am looking for something that is accurate and lethal to get a deer down ethically. Thanks for reading.

IMG_4085.jpeg
IMG_4084.jpeg

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My jm 336 has shot very well with 150 and 170gr corelokts (same with same grain federal power shoks). It shoots hornady leverevolution 160gr the best. While sufficient and effective, I was surprised at how little damage that bullet caused though. It killed all 4 of the deer I shot with it in a timely, short distance manner, but I did not see the internal trauma I expected. YMMV.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not a fan of leverevolution. 150 grain speer soft points is what my mentor loaded up for me. I used to know the trajectory of that round from 25 yards to 300 yards and could prove it anytime needed.

One time a friend and I called in 4 raccoons. I shot 3 of the 4 while he banged off rounds from his auto loading 243.

Steelers Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can take all of the advice you can get on factory ammo and your report card will probably be a "C". Everyone of these members are correct, but only for their gun. There is only one way to get an "A" and it's the same way people have been getting A's forever. Ya gotsta do ya homewurk and practice. All (mostly) cartridges go bang just like kids showing up for school. But if you're looking for the fast kid (flat trajectory), the big kid (hard hitting) or the smart kid (accurate answer), you will have to line them up and race them, watch them horse around and have a chalkboard competition.

I have four 30-30's and though two are Marlin's and two are Winches they don't like the same ammo as far as accuracy is concerned. Any round will hit a deer at 50 yds, it's beyond that distance is where the problem lies. Accuracy is primary with me as you must hit the vitals. You can always say "well that's good enough", but things happen out in the field. Remember, this is a lever gun, not known for quality triggers by comparison to other platforms. They are also short guns, more prone to pulling shots on the trigger squeeze. If you have to make a follow up shot at marginal distance, you'll want the round that hits the X.

Unfortunately, the only way to find out is to purchase different brands and bullet weights and options, then shoot groups. God and the animals we hunt are counting on us doing our homework.

Last edited:

wolfkpr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Round nose softpoint 150gr for the .30-30 ( and its velocity range) have been common, available and well tested for over a century. In this velocity range- you shouldnt expect the instant knockdown and exposive internal damage of an ‘06, but it should expand well, do decent damage, and exit on anything but a lengthwise shot. My experience has been with the rem corlokt, and hornady interlock. ( but have had buddies use the federal and winchester to good effect) unless your rifle just doesnt like a certain brand ( accuracy wise)- any of the above are effective 150 yd deer loads. You should have good exit, blood trail- and a deer down in 20-100 yds. ( want faster knockdown- aim to break the shoulder or get higher velocity rifle).

tim003

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies!

I am planning to add a sling swivel on the butt stock of the Marlin, and was going to drill out the “bullseye” but I changed my mind after I did some research about the bullseye. I guess I have to use a different venue for the sling set up, I am not brave enough to drill a hole into the beautiful walnut wood stock.

Latest posts

Top Bottom