Need Home stereo help 5.1 sucks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The center speaker in the dash of the 57 is rotted to dust.
I have 1 optimus boxed speaker by the left foot kick panel and a kenwood 6x9 on the other side.
In the dash glove box is an old school Alpine with the square buttons that are green when lit up.

I have to kick the optimus sometimes.
I have an old PB600 amp that I think 1 or 2 outputs work out of 4 now. I got it in 1986 75wats RMS per speaker at .05% THD bridge it and 200 watts rms

It drives 10" and smaller very well.
Amps are cheap today though ..probably get a Kicker or use the one in my 47. I like a lot of 6x9 speakers and some 10's for bass.

Thing is with most of todays speakers the 6x9 or other car speaker that is a 2 or 3 way will have the tweater or mid attached through the middle of the voice coil.
Did you understand that the center voice coil is the mounting point.
I have not got more than 3 years from a speaker like that ..It will fail.. Dirt or dust gets into that voice coil area and sands the coil wires and then No sound.. it is dead.

Yes I drive with my windows down and drive dirty roads..I only have 2-60 or 4-60 AC in my car.

I need a sealed woofer. Like the old dualcone stuff or 3 way that suspended the mid and tweters on the framework.
I used to run separate piezo tweeters.
I may still have some.. they are cheap enough though.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A simple fix for dust and dirt in the speakers is to use one of the baffles on the bottom side and a thin piece of fine mesh cloth for the top basically how some of the factory ones are made. The sound can still go through but your speakers will last longer.

images2.crutchfieldonline.com_ImageHandler_trim_620_378_products_2005_237_x237XT68_f.jpeg

i.ebayimg.com_images_g_mn8AAOSwPRlXm4xn_s_l300.jpg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yea I had some of those fabric covered factory ones.
That fabric is like the week mat you put in the garden.

I won't do that though I will just get a sealed cone speaker.
I want to do some of the install today.. such a nice day.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can get some solid component speakers for cheap these days. I put some Polks in my niece's car and some Image Dynamics in my wife's. Both got nice and loud off of little power.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When i got the wife a 1995 corolla back in 2000 i pulled the stock speakers and replaced them with Jensens and some Pioneers.
Much better sound.
Remember back in the 80's and 1990's when there was sountrack and those other places that had stereo competitions.
I built a system for a friends 1977 TA and it took 3rd in show.. Not loudest but 3rd cleanest looking I suppose.

He had a kenwood head unit and Punch speakers and amps.
Along with some Kenwood speakers. I thikn CD players were out pretty good then.

Heck It was 7 years ago before I got a CD player..And it was not for the CD but just a cheap Kenwood to put in my 47 dodge for some AM-FM $50.

I still do not own any CD's wife has some But I just listen to FM.
I am 48 and you think I would have that stuff.. No cell phone either.. No need for it.
Maybe one day.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like a lot of the newer head ends especially when they have MP3 playback. Take a single CD and throw 200 songs onto it, shoot you can pretty much load one cd with most artist's discography. Now with the head units that support DVD's you can load over 1300 songs on one disc.

But I do a lot of long trips and driving through the middle of nowhere with nothing but craptastic stations or static SUCKS..... Came back along highway 50 from Reno and then picked up the interstate in Utah.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tons of them now have USB ports and mine also have an SD card slot. Pioneer says it will read up to a 2GB SD card, but I am currently running 64GB cards in both of my vehicles. Something like... I dunno, 400 albums total or something. Thousands of songs.

Just checked my backup folder (I keep it on my computer so I can easily update both cards to be identical), it looks like about 9,000 songs. And that's just the SD, not counting if I wanted to load up a USB and plug that in as well.

Actually, now that I think about it, I've got this 256GB microSDXC sitting here for a few months not even used... I am wondering if I format it properly if my headunit will read it. :D Hmmm...

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never downloaded a song. I do not have any song holding devices.
Unless you consider a cassette something today.

I guess I do not like any song enough to want to spend money to carry it around or spend time put it onto something.
Back under my rock I shall go :)

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yep just the radio.. I actually purchased an 8 track player under dash unit in my teens to play my awesome 8 tracks.
Jefferson Starship and some Ted Nugent along with Jimmy Hendricks.

This week a neighbor got in a truck wreck and she needed a radio to put into the truck so she could get her Kenwood out.
I gave her an old audiovox am fm 8 track that had the tuner with the string that moved the needle.
Yes it stil worked..
But alas the impound lot stole all her equipment..I told her they would steal it.

But insurance company has pictures of it all and she has theft and full coverage so should get her money back.

I still have a briefcase or 2 of old cassettes one large one got stolen.
After that I quit buying songs or devices to store them.

I did buy 1 record album it was a 45 and was Waylon Jennings,,, It had the Dukes of Hazard song on it.\
That was when it came out.

Just the good ol' boys
Never meanin' no harm
Beats all you've ever saw
Been in trouble with the law
Since the day they was born.

Latest posts

Top Bottom