Need Input on Knife Sharpening Systems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking at getting a sharpening system for my knives. I want to be able to do serrated blades also. I am looking at a Lansky system, what do you suggest?

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My nice knives : I prefer the Lansky for any major blade work as you can control your angle you set your blade to depending on what you use the knife for , and a real good whetstone and steel for everything else, and a serration file to touch up the serrated edges. I try to never damage my blades bad enough I have to use the Lansky on them. Generally if you take care of your blade, a few laps by hand on a real good steel brings the edge right back. Major key is to touch the edge back up BEFORE it is dull.

My knives I don't care about as much or I use for "work" other than skinning knives, I use a Work Sharp belt system on. Also works for scissors, and I believe you can do serrated as well.

I just got one of Dale Atkerson's (Slaughterville Knives) from the gunshow last weekend, and that knife will never see anything other than hand sharpening. (It is a BEAUTIFUL knife by the way, if you haven't seen his work, it is A++)

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am really inexperienced in sharpening. I have always taken mine to get done, but want to start doing my own. My knives are general use, not abused normally, but they are tools, and if I do need them above and beyond normal chores I want to get them back in shape too.

The only time I used to try was when I was younger, and I had an Arkansas stone? I don't see many of these being sold, so I am assuming that this is not a good choice. The Spyderco looks good, will look up the Wicked Edge. If you have any links to some, please post. Budget is around $100, is that doable, or should I wait and save some more money up? I would rather buy quality and cry once.

What about strops? Would you recommend one, and when would I use that? Is it mainly for razors, etc?

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard of people using strops, but never used one, or seen one used (other than on a razor). I prefer a good steel.

I started sharpening knives when I was 8, so close to 20 years ago, 10 years I'd say relevant experience. It wasn't until the last 5-7 I got pretty good. People that know me I charge $15-20 to sharpen and service a knife, and I get a lot of compliments. Only complaints I've had is making the edge too sharp for some people. A good finely tuned edge will not feel sharp if you drag your finger across the blade, it will just feel smooth with light pressure.

I've always preferred the art of hand sharpening. Many people like using machines to do it, and for axes, shovels, etc, I do use a sharpening system for times sake. It's personal preference. It takes more time and finesse to do it by hand, but you really get a feel for your knife, and sharpening by hand is much more forgiving to the blade if you make a mistake. I have a pretty decent knife collection, and knives are a love of mine.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend this for everybody, but my preference is using a belt grinder/sander (even something like THIS from Harbor Freight) using quality belts and finishing on leather belts loaded with abrasive compound (usually Flexcut or white jewelers rouge). Like I said, I wouldn't recommend this for everybody as you have to be EXTREMELY careful and keep the knife cool or else you can very quickly ruin a knife's temper. However, that being said, I can set a bevel and have a knife with a mirror finish I can shave with in about 5 minutes...

Latest posts

Top Bottom