Need some advice folks, sights for old eyes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am 57, started wearing glasses a few years ago.

Well lately even with glasses I am having a difficult time picking up the sights on rifles.

LRB M14 had national match sights front and rear, larger aperture.

Buckhorn sights on lever guns.

Both are getting hard to use, with the buckhorns the worse. I ordered a ranger point precision rear peep sight for the newest lever gun, marlin 1894, and its useless to me, completely out of focus. Front sight nearly a blur.

The LRB is better but everything is still a bit out of focus.

I even have a hard time with scopes anymore, without my glasses I can get the eye relief correct but cant focus the cross hairs, with my glasses the eye relief is all jacked but at least I can decently focus the crosshairs and not see 3 sets of crosshairs.

I have thought about hi viz buckhorns for the marlin, front and rear, or maybe a lyman peep sight for the rear with differing apertures or a ghost ring rear.

If worse comes to worse I can always add a rail and a red dot.

For the LRB, I think I can function ok with it for now but only time will tell. I think the longer barrel length is helping me on that one vs the length of the 1894.

Any ideas suggestions. I hate to think I am nearing the end of my firearm ownership but if I cant see the sights whats the point.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought about that for the lever guns, but I want o keep the original look and feel if possible.
I agree with you. It just doesn't look right to have a scope on top of a lever gun, but there comes a time when getting the front sight and the rear sight along with the target in focus just becomes impossible.

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have a stigmatism in your eyes. It will be harder to focus on iron sights and red dot style opinions turn fuzzy. This is normal. I don’t shoot rifles with iron sights. But pistols I just focus on the front sight and the rear is blurry. That is how I do it. If I had to pick up a rifle with iron sights I would do the same. I am a life long glasses wearer.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I thought about that for the lever guns, but I want o keep the original look and feel if possible.
While it does change the aesthetics a little, I’ve got an Sig Romeo Zero on a 30-30 and a 45-70. They are so small that I can live with the change. I also have more confidence if I’m taking a shot at a deer.
I’m 57 also and have been wearing glasses for a year.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While it does change the aesthetics a little, I’ve got an Sig Romeo Zero on a 30-30 and a 45-70. They are so small that I can live with the change. I also have more confidence if I’m taking a shot at a deer.
I’m 57 also and have been wearing glasses for a year.
What base did you use?

Latest posts

Top Bottom