Need some advice on gear from people who have taken a carbine class.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcbarlow

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I have never taken any type of carbine training class before and the main thing I need to get is some type of carrier or holder for my ar mags, and a mag pouch for my pistol mags. I am enlisted in the Army National Guard and leave for basic in Jan, and was wanting to use the closest type of "gear" I will be training with. Any suggestions?

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Well here goes, and I am sure all sorts of "tactical guys" will chim in and tell me I am full of...well any way.... I wouldn't worry a whole bunch about the "gear" for the class. You want a rifle mag holder that will allow you to grab it quickly...IE. an open pouch made of Nylon, kind of like The Wilderness holders, or a cheapy Kydex. Next you want a single or double pistol mag pouch Like an Uncle Mikes...unless you are buying for futur use to carry around when not in the Army.

Now the reason I say this is two fold, first it is FAR MORE IMPORTANT to learn how to run the gun well and to do your "manual of arms" (reloading, clearance drills etc.) than where your mags are going to come from, as this will be FAR BEYOND what you will learn in Basic, and that IS the important stuff.
Next you will be stuck with gear that may or may not be anything Like what you will be ISSUED! They will give you what they want you to have and THEN practice where all the stuff is!! If you buy it you might have wasted a bunch of $$ that could have been spent on anmmo to practice, or money for the course.
The number one thing I notice when I teach carbine courses is that the guys who show up with the big old tac vest with camel back, first aide kit, flash light holder etc., is that they spend a whole bunch of time on fidgiting with gear instead of LEARNING! Learn to do it RIGHT!! and then fight the gear! KurtM

jcbarlow

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well here goes, and I am sure all sorts of "tactical guys" will chim in and tell me I am full of...well any way.... I wouldn't worry a whole bunch about the "gear" for the class. You want a rifle mag holder that will allow you to grab it quickly...IE. an open pouch made of Nylon, kind of like The Wilderness holders, or a cheapy Kydex. Next you want a single or double pistol mag pouch Like an Uncle Mikes...unless you are buying for futur use to carry around when not in the Army.

Now the reason I say this is two fold, first it is FAR MORE IMPORTANT to learn how to run the gun well and to do your "manual of arms" (reloading, clearance drills etc.) than where your mags are going to come from, as this will be FAR BEYOND what you will learn in Basic, and that IS the important stuff.
Next you will be stuck with gear that may or may not be anything Like what you will be ISSUED! They will give you what they want you to have and THEN practice where all the stuff is!! If you buy it you might have wasted a bunch of $$ that could have been spent on anmmo to practice, or money for the course.
The number one thing I notice when I teach carbine courses is that the guys who show up with the big old tac vest with camel back, first aide kit, flash light holder etc., is that they spend a whole bunch of time on fidgiting with gear instead of LEARNING! Learn to do it RIGHT!! and then fight the gear! KurtM

Thanks for the insight Kurt, that statement put it in perspective for me.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I have never taken any type of carbine training class before and the main thing I need to get is some type of carrier or holder for my ar mags, and a mag pouch for my pistol mags. I am enlisted in the Army National Guard and leave for basic in Jan, and was wanting to use the closest type of "gear" I will be training with. Any suggestions?

If you are just learning the carbine, I completely agree with Kurt; Learn it slick, gear-wise, until you can really run your gun.

It's pointless to have other crap in your way and taking up training time adjusting and jacking with your pouches and other stuff that you may not have when you deploy.

Once you're running your gun well and know what gear you'll have issued to you, then go and train in your gear as this will be important as well.

Michael Brown

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My advice...forget the gear AND the carbine class.

Even if you are already 'in shape', spend the next couple months PTing your a$$ off and get ready for boot camp. You will be stressed to the breaking point. Being in peak physical condition will help you deal with the stress and give you one less thing to worry about during training.

Learn to shoot 'the Army way' first and then seek out additional individual off-duty training after you complete boot and AIT.

Marshall Luton

Defensive Shooting Academy
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious about which Carbine Class you've signed up for. Like the other guys said here, gear is not the issue when you are learning to run the rifle, fo sho. Manipulation is the key. Loading, malfunction clearances, shooting platforms and stuff like that. The Army most certainly has their way. It sucks but it's their way. We had a kid go thru our Urban Rifle Course before he went to basic and when he got there, he kept his mouth shut and said nothing about "other" training to the DI's. He graduated top shooter in his class and nobody could come close to shooting scores like he did from day one on. He impressed the heck out of them and they KNEW he had been trained by somebody else before he got there but he stayed quiet and just let his scores do all the talking for him.

He is now a Ranger and has been at the top of nearly every school he's attended thanks to the training he received from TDSA. [This is what he said, not my words.]

You should have considered training with us since we are right here in your own backyard. Best of luck to you in the armed forces. Thank you for the time and sacrifice you are making for our country. Oh yeah, don't get into the mindset that you willing to die for your country, make them die for theirs!

Christopher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're welcome to borrow my army issued rig before you head out if you want. Its the same crap you'll get in basic. I never use it, because its crap. Hell I'd even give it to you if I knew they weren't going to ask for it back eventually.

But like everyone else here said, basic is a joke shooting-wise. I'd focus on PT and getting used to drinking an uncomfortable amount of water.

jcbarlow

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow sorry guys haven't gotten on here in a while. Here we go:
SMS - I signed up for this class quite a while before I enlisted, just thought since I have already paid for it, I should use it to my advantage. As far as PT goes it is something I do every day at least twice a day, and I am in the best shape I have ever been in my life. I definitely think I am training harder than most as far as getting in physical shape before I leave.
Marshall - I signed up for the USSA tactical rifle 230 course. I will definitely look into some future courses with you guys, I've heard nothing but great things.
Chirstopher - I appreciate the offer, I bought a plate carrier and some MOLLE pouches for AR mags so I am gonna see how that works. Ya I should have made this post a little more clear in the beginning, I didnt enlist then sign up for this class to get me ready for basic it was something I did quite a while ago and figured I would use it the best I could to my advantage. PT is definitely my main focus right now.
Jtischauser - The MOS I have chosen is 11 Bravo (infantry)

The class is this weekend and I have an a**load of ammo to load up!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom