Needing a new welding hood.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an optrel/uvex satellite. If you're doing mig the auto darkening will serve you well. It's a bit overkill for tig. On mine, the features i like most are interchangeable clear lenses over the shade, in case of scratches or spatter. Also, make sure it has photovoltaic (solar panel) cells on the front and doesn't rely on non-rechargeable batteries. Another thing to loom at is respnse time. It's not a guarantee, but usually the cheap models will be slower. Another handy feature is the shade adjustment knob on the outside. Its nice to be able to reach up and adjust it on the go. Mine has a few other fancy features but they never get used, tbh.

zseese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a red skull looking auto darkening from harbor freight (don't know brand) for around $80 about two years ago that has worked great for me, but I only do occasional mig welding so I don't know how it would suit you...

hunterman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would get a auto darkening hood and get a battery opperating one not the solar charging hoods. You can find a decent hood for a fair price at your local welding store or atwoods or tractor supply store.

prophet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have both a miller auto darkening and a hobart auto, i prefer my miller auto because it has 4 sensors which if you tig weld it helps prevent it from shutting off because your blocking the arc.

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Does anyone have a miller titanium. They are more than I wanted to spend but it would be nice to have the flip up face for grinding.

I have decided ill definitely get an auto dark just for the convenience, do they all have a "grinding" mode? It would be great to not carry both a face shield and hood.

prophet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone have a miller titanium. They are more than I wanted to spend but it would be nice to have the flip up face for grinding.

I have decided ill definitely get an auto dark just for the convenience, do they all have a "grinding" mode? It would be great to not carry both a face shield and hood.

My miller has a grinding setting, i dont use it though.

OKIE-CARBINE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have a miller digital elite inferno. more that what i need, but i had the money at the time and was gonna go all out on a welding venture. definately get an auto darkening. that is so nice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom