Netflix or what?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just got an Amazon Fire TV stick with KODI; I paid $90 for it. ( I guess that is the same as jailbroken?) Anyway, it's very cool, we watched The Revenant and Spectre yesterday at home, there is tons of free stuff streaming; live sports, a bazillion movies, TV shows, You Tube, Netflix stuff, documentaries, etc. My daughter and son-in-law turned us on to it, they use a cheap antenna from Wally World for local channels and the Firestick thing and cut Cox Cable out of their life. We're about to call Cox and tell them to cut their "basic enhanced cable" service; we'll keep Cox internet, but my cable bill is about to go down by $123.99 per month. Happy Dance. I see outrageously expensive cable services either becoming a thing of the past or at last, letting customers have real access to a cafeteria style menu of channels they would like to subscribe to. I remember when "basic cable" was only like $20 a month...but now we pay $123.99 for it and what we get is local channels and a bunch of crap channels we never watch anyway.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got an Amazon Fire TV stick with KODI; I paid $90 for it. ( I guess that is the same as jailbroken?) Anyway, it's very cool, we watched The Revenant and Spectre yesterday at home, there is tons of free stuff streaming; live sports, a bazillion movies, TV shows, You Tube, Netflix stuff, documentaries, etc. My daughter and son-in-law turned us on to it, they use a cheap antenna from Wally World for local channels and the Firestick thing and cut Cox Cable out of their life. We're about to call Cox and tell them to cut their "basic enhanced cable" service; we'll keep Cox internet, but my cable bill is about to go down by $123.99 per month. Happy Dance. I see outrageously expensive cable services either becoming a thing of the past or at last, letting customers have real access to a cafeteria style menu of channels they would like to subscribe to. I remember when "basic cable" was only like $20 a month...but now we pay $123.99 for it and what we get is local channels and a bunch of crap channels we never watch anyway.

You could have installed KODI yourself in half an hour and saved $50 on the purchase. If you decide to get another, buy it straight from Amazon and DIY.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Opt for the Fire TV over the Firestick if you can, they are a lot faster. Then, just put Kodi on it and Areswizard. With Ares you can choose from several different builds (I recommend Beast). You can do it all yourself, Google and Youtube will tell you all that you need to know.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could have installed KODI yourself in half an hour and saved $50 on the purchase. If you decide to get another, buy it straight from Amazon and DIY.

Yeah, I did this on a whim last night and took me about 20 mins. Joel is an old jarhead so paying the $50 probably saved the earth from the accidental creation of Skynet.

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160123_5232ceb584852bc37ee3e5c7ffdeb4d4.jpg

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We just cut the cord and currently have Amazon, Sling, Hulu, Netflix, HBO, and use Vudu for rentals.

Just added HBO NOW. HBO is great for good tv and random movies. HBO offers great exclusive series.

Going to remove Amazon and Sling as they haven't offered much we wanted. We knew we wouldn't keep them all but figured we'd do the free trial of each at least. Amazon was great for free 2-day shipping at least....

The only thing I'll miss about sling is History channel shows. Roku has a history app, so might try that. Don't care for their stupid series. Just the real random history shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I did this on a whim last night and took me about 20 mins. Joel is an old jarhead so paying the $50 probably saved the earth from the accidental creation of Skynet.

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160123_5232ceb584852bc37ee3e5c7ffdeb4d4.jpg

True. We don't need me trying to undo the interweb or nuthin like that. Was worth the $50 to me...I can barely use a remote control , much less side load download upload a streamer thing-a-ma-jig. But thanks for the thoughts. All I know is I can watch lots of shows and movies I couldn't before without redbox or Netflix or buying a DVD...and bye bye cox freakin cable!

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Actually, while I appreciate your confidence, YOU could have installed KODI ... Me? No way Jose! I am as geekless as can be.

gtxtreme21

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I looked at Amazon prime while seeing if anyone would reply. I kinda like what I discovered but my blu ray player doesn't support it. It has Netflex, Vudu and a couple others I never heard of but sadly not Amazon. I managed to get it talking to the internet through my wireless router, guess the next step is to get signed up for the free Netflix trial and see what happens.

Thanks
I have Amazon and it works fine on wired connections but fails over wifi. Netflix works great everywhere in my house. I am on the 2nd most expensive Cox Internet so my personal opinion is that Amazon would be a bad choice. - Gary

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have Amazon and it works fine on wired connections but fails over wifi. Netflix works great everywhere in my house. I am on the 2nd most expensive Cox Internet so my personal opinion is that Amazon would be a bad choice. - Gary

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

That is strange, I have both and have had more problems with Netflix over the years. To be honest, I don't have much trouble with either.

Latest posts

Top Bottom