New Addition

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went out looking for ammo again today...that and checking to see if any guns on my "Want List" had shown up in any stores.
Stopped in at the Academy on I-240 and they had gotten in a few of the Mossberg 88 HD 12g. Almost bought one but the salesguy said "We also got in 1 Marlin 336".
The price was right for me and I couldn't pass it up. Always wanted a larger caliber wood rifle...really liked the wood on this one.

i1324.photobucket.com_albums_u607_jmike314_photo2_zpse39a0ef3.jpg

It was down on my list of wants, but I hadn't seen one in stores for a while now.
Can't wait to take it out.

Any opinions on scoping it?

Attachments

• photo2_zpse39a0ef3.jpg
    photo2_zpse39a0ef3.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 73

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
yeah, don't. learn to shoot the iron sights. it's not exactly a target rifle so you should be able to shoot it well enough to hit anything within it's useable range.

I'm going to guess it's an A model. Is that correct?

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was really wanting the "big loop" model with the shorter barrel but I couldn't pass this up at the price.

Never cared much for the semi-buckhorn rear sights (maybe that's because I was never any good shooting with them)...maybe an aperture sight for the rear would do me better and allow me to keep the iron sights.

I'd love to have one of these in 45-70.
That's a bit big for what I'm looking to do with it...but Marlin makes a nice looking one.

Now if I could just find some 30-30 ammo I'd be set.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
30-30 levers will always be one of my favorite guns. I just traded one off to a fellow member, it was a pleasure to shoot. Can't wait until gramps dies off and we divide up his old marlins and chesters... I love them guns

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had a few lever action 30-30's marlin and winchester both.
These were all scoped..i still have my dad's 94
4" groups at 200 yards. It had the old redfield widefield 4x scope on it since 1974
The glass is scratched up on the scope and just last year it got another scope....
Many deer killed with that model 94
I personally killed a nice buck at 217 yards with 150gr flat nose store ammo from the 1980's
It gets handloads now ,my buddy dropped his first buck at over 300 yards aimed above the deer's back and punched through the top of the ribs took some lungs and out the other side..deer went 40 yards and piled up.

Never underestimate the old 30-30
My second cousin hunts elk every year in Colorado..2 guys in the group use their lever action 30-30's
and they get their elk every year...They stated the 30-30 is good for 250 yard easy kills on elk.
After i heard that i started stretching the legs on my 30-30.

I only shoot cast bullets from it now..and if i need the long range shots i use my 308 or 30-06..
I hunt areas of pipe line and river that even the 30-06 would would be rendered useless.

Use that gun and enjoy it...I like the wood on that one also

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
As far as optics, you can get higher quality iron sights like Williams or Lyman peep sights that will improve accuracy without the cost and weight of a scope.

Latest posts

Top Bottom