NEW AR, Look at my target and let me know if I am doing alright please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like you need to get sighted in. Can't see any hits or a pic.

Photobucket, download the pic, copy pic as image, paste image to page click reply.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you try to post a pic make sure it ends in JPG not a / or a html

s10.postimg.org_6s27mgj2w_IMG_8216.jpg

Not sure if you were standing or sitting but probably just take a little bit of getting used to it. Eventually you will get it figured out.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First I'd say get a red dot or a scope. Second you need to understand if you are shooting reg 55 grain ammo even with a scope you shouldn't expect tight groups, say 2-4 MOA. Open sights usually open it up further. But not bad for your first go.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First I'd say get a red dot or a scope. Second you need to understand if you are shooting reg 55 grain ammo even with a scope you shouldn't expect tight groups, say 2-4 MOA. Open sights usually open it up further. But not bad for your first go.

Exactly, that group is minute of center mass.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Did you start closer in?

One thing I tell people who are just starting (or learning a new system) is to start closer. Mostly people who are shooting a handgun for the first time and want to start at 25+ yards. Start closer (for handguns 10 or less) until you can shoot more consistently. It's frustrating to not be able to shoot well, and distance makes it more difficult. I'd say if it's safe, move in to 25-35yds, shoot there until you get the hang of the sights and the gun, then move out.

And Jeff (Shootin 4 Fun) is right, that looks to be a 12" target based on .22 cal holes, so that would be nearly all hits on an average torso at 100yds. Not bad at all for a new gun and sight system.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took maybe 30 rounds at 35 yards and then walked over to the 100 yard range. I guess I am expecting too much out of the gun and the bullet. I was using a 55 grain bullet. I just see guys get really tight groups. What are they shooting? heavier bullet? They were shooting with irons as well. I was a 12 inch rifle target.

Could've been different twist rate on the barrel, match grade ammo, better irons, muzzle brake for better follow ups, more practice, bunch of things. But with irons at 100 yards, I would consider that fine work. try out a 1-4 scope, or if you want precision a decent 3-9 like a leupold vx-2. Can be had for about $200

Also.. not always, but sometimes higher than center shots at longer range can be indicative of a heavy trigger, might checkout several triggers, I like hipertouch.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't see the pic, but I'd probably be terribly embarrassed to post pics of my shooting. lol Kudos to you.

<edit> Ok, I can see it now. I have no idea if I'd do better than that.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
sight alignment consistency, and trigger control.

how are your groups with the .22? with a scoped rifle?
How is your eyesight?

Instruction on basic rifle marksmanship, under the eyes of a decent instructor who can diagnose problems well, will have you shooting 6 inches at 100 yards with iron sights, within a couple of hours. That rifle is capable of better than that; even with 55gr bulk ammo, but it will take work on the basics. If you have not sought face to face professional instruction, or even free competent instruction, I would highly encourage it. If not, you will develop bad habits that will make good shooting pure luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom